1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount wont raise, or turn but the pump runs???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by daveolejnik, Dec 4, 2008.

1. daveolejnik

daveolejnik Junior Member

I droped my plow to fix my frame and mount. Everything worked great when I droped it. After fixing everything I hooked the plow back up and there is nothing. I can hear the pump run when I try to raise or turn the plow, but it doesnt move. It went up maybe 1". I checked the fluid and its fine. I topped it off, but it does the same thing. Im going to check the screen first thing tomarrow, But I dont think thats it. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong??? Can I have a problem with a ground or my wiring, and have the pump run but not go up, left, or right???? It worked fine when I droped it. Please Help !!!!

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

check your motor ground it might not bee good enough now after it was taken apart . just my thoughts

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutly...and in most cases its caused by a poor connection in the grill plug connector. Also, since you have just worked on it, make sure you didn't disconnect the orange/black ground wire on the pump as that wire supplies ground to all the valve solenoids...pump will still run but no fluid will be transfered.

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

IIRC if the black/orange wire is not connected the pump will dead head, and sound like it is straining. If the pump sounds like it is just spinning freely then I would suspect low fluid, clogged filter, bad o-ring on bottom of the pump.

5. daveolejnik

daveolejnik Junior Member

I checked all the wiring, I thought the plug in at the grill may be bad. If I move it around it seems to make a diferance and it will start to work. The western shop didnt have the plugs in they were ordered so I just cut the plugs off and used water tight electrical connectors and taped them up also. It worked for a few hours, then it did the same thing. It wont raise or turn and the motor runs. It acts like it wants to raise and tirn but it doesnt. I drained all the fluid cleaned the filter, and refilled it with new fluid. It worked for about 15 minuites then the same thing it quit working. I went inside to warm up and went out then it worked again. I plowed for 2 hrs with no problems. What could be causing this? Also I asked about a rebuild kit for the pump and they said they cant be rebuilt. Is this true? If so how much does a new pump cost?? could this be the pump starting to go bad? Please Help. There is a three week wait to get it to the shop.

6. sheltonct

sheltonct Junior Member

When you get this answered, I can also use it. My grill plugs got wet last week and it hasnt been the same since. ??

7. sheltonct

sheltonct Junior Member

i played with the driver-side grill connection and got it moving very slowly up/down. I able going to clean up the male/female ends and try again. the water that got in there maybe froze or something

8. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

When the motor spins does it spin freely or does it sound like it is under load?

9. sheltonct

sheltonct Junior Member

i know mine without taking over this thread sounds like its spinning freely with a load as the lights and all dim.

10. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Sheltonct look at post #4 then.

11. GSShelper

GSShelper Member

try using di-electric grease on all electrical connections ,, youl be amazed on how it helps

12. sheltonct

sheltonct Junior Member

found out that is it the grill connection on the driver side. i can angle the connection one way and it partially works, angle another nothing, angle another and works perfect.

I can do the repair to both ends for about 85$ from local guy who carries parts.

13. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I had the same thing this year and it took 3 fixes. First the plugs were shot so I changed those and it work for a couple days. Next found the seleniod was bad so I replaced that and it to worked a couple days, Then finally found the plow was grounding out in the head light assembly, it had water and cut turn signal wires and has been good for 10 days.