1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount wont lift or angle

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wishingtoplow, Jan 22, 2013.

1. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

Changed fluid in the fall. did not check filter. was about 5 degrees here this morning. Plow lifted slow once then would not lift or angle at all. pulled the pump out and the screen was froze up. drained fluid out the rams. refilled fluid and angled a couple times and lifted once and pump whining. checked fluid and it was low so i refilled and is still whining and wont lift or angle. checked solenoid and everything. could it stil be froze up. Its still about 5 degrees here. Snow for friday need it fixed

2. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

also i can lift up on the ram like there is no restrictions holding it back. can also angle one way and a little the other but stops

3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

4. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

anyone else?

5. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

filter froze again

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe. Fill with fluid again? How many quarts did you use??

7. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

Sorry I was stating that the filter was froze again

8. dieselss

Ok. So that means that you didn't get all the old fluid/water put

9. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

Any tips on doing that I took off hoses and moved back and forth maybe not enough

10. dieselss

Yea take lines off at the motor,,,angle plow by hand also take line for lift off remove chain and raise and lower ram. Assuming you took off the resivor and cleaned all that out. Make sure your breather is good and screwed on tight. Add fluid add 2 capfulls of heet then operate plow as normal
    Have you taken the motor off ??

11. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You drain the whole system..You might have air in the system..After you refill the system, you should of manually swung the blade left to right to help push the air out of the rams and the rest of the system. As for fluid, I would use the "blue" hydraulic fluid instead of transmission fluid (red). Blue seem to handle better in cold weather.

12. dieselss

How are you going to manually angle the rams while they are filled with fluid?

13. quick decision

quick decision Junior Member

frozen plow

I had the same problem Sunday morning, I put a tarp over the plow motor and dumped hot air directly at the pump. 20 min. later it worked fine,.Got me through the next storm.

14. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I always was told the same "Blue seems to handle better in the cold" but I switched to blue this season for the first time & just last week I started having problems with the unit freezing up on me just like our friend was experiencing above. Now I'm thinking I may switch back to using red atf.

15. dieselss

Stick with blue or red. Switching back and forth isn't the best

16. snowplowparts

snowplowparts Inactive

Curious what brand of blue???

17. Snow Commandor

from 07666

I used the Western brand, given that is was available in a gallon @ the dealer when I baught the filter back in November. Again, I had historicly used exclusively red atf. This is the first time I've ever dropped the res & cleaned the unit out completely. I even bled the angle rams @ that time. I figured sinse I'd cleaned it out completely I would give the blue stuff a try. I guess my girl preferrs red! Lol

18. Snow Commandor

from 07666

U need to disconnect the 2 angle lines @ the pump and set them in an oil drain pan. Now with the plow in the air, manually angle the plow back & forth over & over to bleed the angle rams.

19. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

This should help you out. Very simple

winter.jpg

20. dieselss

That still don't answer how your Gunna fill the angles cylinders by putting them in fluid, angle, then put them back on the fittings without getting air back in the lines.?? To much work that's not needed
    Just fill the resivor, angle the blade normally. Lower ram..ck and add more aa necessary