1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount wont float. Any help?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jsc824, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

I have a unimount that worked fine last year. This year I repainted everything including the pump, motor etc.

The plow goes up, down, left, and right, but will not go into float, and now I cant get it off the truck. I have basically stood on the lift arm to try and get it to go down and it wont budge. (also when I tap down, on the joystick, it goes all the way to the ground, but wont go any further.

I have checked the quill and adjusted that with no change.

Anyone have any idea what would cause this and how to fix????

2. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

anyone have any idea? Loosen the packing nut maybe? Any help is apprieciated.

3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Try this......................take your joystick lever and jiggle it from lift to down as hard as you possibly can without breaking the lever off. Literally that hard, slam it up and down with all your might, but like I said not hard enough to break it or rip it off of its mount.

I've recommended this, with a lot of nay sayers thinking I was nuts, but just do it. The pin switch for the float get's hung up after a while and needs some convincing. Let me know after you try it.

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

When the plow is up and you hit lower and let off does the plow go all the way to the ground? If it goes all the way down with only one tap on the lever that would tell me you have power going to the coil. If you have power to the coil then it shouldn't be the controller.

This happened on my old unimount and the dealer told me the packing nut orings and seals can swell in the summer from the heat. I loosened mine and was able to push it in.

Otherwise use a 12volt test light and see if you are getting 12v to the coil and if it is staying hot until you hit up. Keep us posted.

5. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Plow goes to the ground with one tap but won't go to float. I tried to manually compress an nothing. Also tried lifting blade and dropping it on a concrete block to see if that height might change things and no luck. Could very well be the seals heating up. It's been really warm here and had been sitting. I noticed while working on it over the past couple days it was hard to compress but now it's solid. I'll have to try and losen the packing nut. What do you all use to do this? I don't have a wrench that big so I'll have to buy one.

6. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Gave the packing nut about a 1/8 of a turn and down she went. Guess I'll be replacing the seals in the fall when I do the fluid change. At least now I can remov it from the truck the right way. Probably would have got some funny looks driving around with a plow hanging off tthe front in July.

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

When I read the original post, I didn't see that it went down. So the controller actually went into float, but the ram wouldn't go down smoothly to remove the plow...............I see. Next time, you have a couple other options if you're in a pinch. You can always use a large pry bar in between the bolts that secure the lift channel......usually when they're tight, that will still do it. Also, you can use a jack under the a-frame and take the chain off. Obviously you wanted to address the issue, and it's good that you got it.

8. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Unless you know the seals are bad you shouldn't have to replace them just because you loosened the packing nut just tighten it up before winter. Glad it is working now!

9. Beercan

Beercan Junior Member

Ive had the same issuse loosened up the packing nut and down it went winter came along tightened up the nut and worked grat all summer. it just swells in the heat like has been entioned but the contract in the spring