1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount won't drop

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by just me, Nov 29, 2009.

1. just me

just me Member

I finally got all the harnesses installed and the lights working. I couldn't get the plow to do anything until I decided to see if the extra large ring terminal on the orange/black wire from the controller needed to be grounded. Seems it did since the blade now goes up, left, and right but won't come down. Do I have a bad solenoid at the motor or is the controller bad ?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check the S1 coil for magnetisim.

3. just me

just me Member

Just found a similar issue from 2 years ago on a search. Heading back out.....;)

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Have you tried wiggleing your truck side to plowside harness I have had many times that the harness needs to be wiggled and it will work (watch you toes when you do)

5. just me

just me Member

Every piece of wire harness is spankin' new, but I guess it could be faulty...:confused: I'll try that tomorrow.
    Solenoid works with a jumper wire but not the controller, so I WAS assuming it was the controller until you brought this up. Probably the controller tho, as it came well used.
    I was planning to use this plow tomorrow to level a load of gravel in my driveway. The quarry closes Dec 1 so I may have to rig up a jumper wire into the cab with a switch to drop it.....:rolleyes:
    Glad you guys are here to help with all these "issues"...:salute:

6. Crash935

Motor doesnt run on the down function so jumping the solenoid wont so any good. Chck the S1, that valve is only used for the down function, before you go and get another controller.

7. just me

just me Member

It needs 12 volts to magnetize and the jumper does that in place of the controller. When it energizes, the blade goes down. I don't get power at the white wire when I use the controller.

8. Crash935

Okay, thought you were just jumping the motor solenoid and not to the S1 coil. Check for power then at the grill connector on the truck side. Then put power and ground to the controller using jumper and check at the controller. If it is the controller, the PC board its self is replaceable, dont have to do the whole controller.

You do have the wiring schematics, right?

9. just me

just me Member

No, not to the extent that I would know which pin to connect to at the grill plug or controller plug. Is it on Western site ?

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

11. Crash935

12. just me

just me Member

Well, that was interesting. I printed page 44 and 48 and got the wife to go out to the shop with me to wiggle my joystick while I checked for continuity...:D
    I decided to start at the plug and she thought I was crazy when I went into a head stand and held my left hand over my right eye but she played along. I HAVE power at the #1 pin....:confused: I then plugged the harnesses back together and the danged thing works. Both harnesses are brand new but they weren't making contact, so Philbilly2 wins.....:drinkup:
    Thanks for the link to the mechanics guide. I now have that bookmarked for future use, of which I'm sure it will be needed.
    I get to plow my gravel tomorrow.....:nod: