1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by burbguy, Mar 12, 2006.

1. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

anyone have a unimount wiring harness that will work for a 90 suburban? or any suggestions to get them working?

I talked to the western dealer in town and he said it is not a easy harness to find with the headlight setup that I have. I do not know alot about wiring them in so I guess I believed him. I am sure someone on here has came accross the same situation at some time.

2. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I picked up an older conventional last year and had the same problem. This is what I ended up doing. I used a 6 plug trailerconnector to tie the plow lights and truck “harness” together. My mount stays on the truck, but in your case the connector allows the wiring to easily be connected/disconnected. I spliced the turn signals into the truck’s circuits. I ran the parking/running and headlights via relays. The parking/running light relay is tied to the truck’s parking lights. The headlights are completely separate from any existing truck circuit I ran the hot directly to all three relays from the battery via fused lines. I ran the grounds through a pull switch on the dash and dimmer switch on the floor. I installed a small indicator in the side of the instrument panel for the high beam. The hot for the indicator runs off of a hot on the truck and the ground is tied into the line for the high beam off of the dimmer switch. It isn't as complicated as it sounds. Works very well.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

western dealer in town and he said it is not a easy harness to find with the headlight setup that I have

What this mean is that hes to lazy to pickup the phone and call western to order it. You must have the LF/UF headlights, not a common setup but western does have that harness available.
    Do you need the whole harness or just the cross harness? I could get you the # to the dealer in town here, who im pretty sure has one, and have them UPS it to you. let me know what headlights so i can get you the right kit #.

4. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

I am not sure what the headlight setup that I have is called. It is a dual headlight setup with the bulbs being horizontal. I think you are right on the lazyness though.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

You have the LF/UF headlights (small rectangle shaped, 2 per side). If you need the whole harness kit to go from inside the cab, to the motor solenoid, between headlights and out the grill, you need a 61560 kit. If you just need to go from headligh to headlight you need a 61581.

GM didnt make alot of trucks with the LF/UF lights (late 80's/early 90's) so there were not alot of kits out on the used market but western still makes the kit. I'll take and look to see what the suggested retail price is to keep the dealer from trying to screw you.

Suggested list from western 61560 - $154.48
    61581 - $43.28

Western still lists both harness kits on their 06 master parts list so dont let the dealer tell you he cant get them.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2006
  6. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

thanks alot for the help crash!I will get to the dealer and see what he has to say.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I might have that harness around. I'll look and see and PM you if I do.