1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount wiring question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fivepoints, Oct 25, 2013.

1. fivepoints

fivepoints Junior Member

Hi there folks. I bought a used unimount plow, mount and wiring. The wiring going into the six relays are bad shape. Looks like a dogs breakfast as my mechanic said. I could cut them and put new ends on.

I also thought maybe just replace that side of wiring, ends up western dealer says need to change it too new style wiring 11 pin i think with isolation module and would also require new headlights. So I may be spending more than I thought but in the long run maybe piece of mind.

Any thoughts, I had not planned to spend this extra on it as I thought I had everything but I want it right

thanks

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Are you using an isarmatic pump ?

I cut all that crap out of mine, and ran new relays with a custom harness I made myself. The reality is that the system is so simple, that it works fine with relays on the headlights, and nothing else. Can't tell you exactly how I did it, except that all the wiring is fused through an auxiliary fuse panel that I bought through a marine supply store, and I used 2 standard relays for the headlamps so that my truck's system wiring is separate from the inline feed to the plow headlights, as these old dodges had some thin crappy wiring.

3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

The harness that you have should still be available through western! Not necessary to update all the other stuff to the isolation module style. I'm sure someone can give you the part number of what you need,like nealybird on this site. You can send him a message.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Same q? Was just on here and I think the part number was given out

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hey thanks for the mention Western1! ... well he didn't say what truck yet, but since he says 6 relays, I'll assume it's either 99-02 chevy or 03-06 chevy. and Western did discontinue both of those a couple of years ago, because they couldn't get some of the parts anymore.

there may be some around the country somewhere I imagine. the harness kit for the 99-02 chevy would be a 63392, and the one for the 03-06 chevy is a 64077.

for a person with a 99-02 chevy who has a good main harness and just needs the headlight harness conversion kit with the additional 4 relays, that would be a 63394.

there was no conversion kit for the 03-06 chevy because the main harness had to change too, to the 12 pin instead of 9 pin.

6. fivepoints

fivepoints Junior Member

thanks for all the replies. Sorry if im not understanding correctly. my truck is 2000 GMC 2500,

So I can get part number 63394, a conversion kit harness which would have only 4 relays not six and would work with the plow lights I have now?
    thanks.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sorry for confusion. the 99-02 chevy takes a 9pin main harness, a headlight harness, 6 relays, some other small parts, and battery cables and solenoid. the 63392 harness kit has all that except for the solenoid and battery cables.
    the 63394 conversion kit has just the headlight harness, any small odd parts for that truck, and 4 relays. so it is meant to go with wiring that you have from another truck, to add to the main harness, the two relays you would already have, etc.
    .. so.. it really boils down to whether or not you need a new 9pin main harness. if you do you'd want to get the 63392 (if you can find one), and if you don't need it, then get the 63394 conversion kit. If your main harness is part of what looks like a dog's breakfast, I'd get the 63392.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

9. fivepoints

fivepoints Junior Member

Thanks Nealybird and others for your posts. That wiring diagram I was looking for the other day. With that I may try and do some repair.

Change the dogs breakfast to a fine meal. Again appreciate the help, Ill update when I get all done which had better soon. Be good to work at it a few hrs it will teach a few things about it.

Was this a good system was their any issues or concerns with it.

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the relay system worked fine. put some dielectric grease on them after you put the wires on the terminals, then wrap up with electrical tape.

11. fivepoints

fivepoints Junior Member

Thank you for the help, and advice. It is much appreciated

robtymusicThumbs Up

12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Good Luck!

13. fivepoints

fivepoints Junior Member

Hey guys, i'm still working on this, had a death in the family so didn't get any work done on truck last week other then extend some wire. My mechanic and I are working on it tomorrow night. Just wondering where to hook the wire that comes into the cab with the wiring plug. its a separate wire that I believe hooks into ignition?. Also what role does that wire play. I know I should probably know this already or b able to find. Time is alittle short as I lost last week and I'm trying to get my oct. invoicing done and into the mail.

Thanks if you can help me out. or a wiring diagram or installation would be awesome.

14. Fivepoints,

If i can speak on behalf of plowsite members/sponsors,
    were sorry to here about your loss.
    Family is always first and should you need any type of help,
    i know i/we, and other plowsite members would help in any way that we can. Please reach out if need help now or the future.

Sincerely, plowsite members.

15. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

Sorry dude about your family...

The red wire with the fuse holder goes to a
    12volt keyed ignition to power your controller.

16. fivepoints

fivepoints Junior Member

ok, thanks. I appreciate the condolences. next question. we have gone through the wiring on each relay to verify and labelled each relay. that helped make things more clear. for future reference also.

We hooked the head lights up on truck. we have passengerer headlight, both high beams, and both the signals. we do not have driver side low beam. there are two orange wires together into #4 relay. when unplugged from relay power goes to driver side low beam plug. however when end is plugged into the bulb it does not come on, all the while the passeneger low beam will not work if orange wire is unplugged from #4 relay.
    thank you rob

17. dieselss

Well the org is pin 87a and thats for your tk lights. Did you ck the "plow" plug that goes into the factory lights? I know they get corroded from time to time only other off the top of my head is the gnds for the headlights

18. fivepoints

fivepoints Junior Member

Thank you everyone for your help and comments, got it all figured out and hooked up and running .
    I feel a lot better now. Now I can wrk on extras.

Just curious, when I tried this plow out on previous owners truck , it seemed to work great. Now on my truck when turned all the right as I return it to straight it's real jerky for first couple inches. Not sure why. I have much to learn and read but I thought I would ask as thr seems to be a lot of knowledge on this site.
    Thanks rob

19. dieselss

What is the new issue? Kinda lost me