1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount wiring issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by stevehawk23, Oct 22, 2011.

1. stevehawk23

stevehawk23 Junior Member
    from CT

Hello, ive been checking out the site since last season, but now i could use some help. I have a 1988 gmc pickup that im putting a 7.5 Unimount on. The plow came off a 1989 chevy, and everything looks great but im having issues with the control side of the wiring harness. The donor truck had the standard 2 headlights, and my truck has the quad headlights. From what ive read, they call it LF/UF headlight type?? Anyway the plugs on the harness arent the same as the ones on my truck.
    Does western make adapters so i can connect this harness to my truck and still have high/low beam operation? I also need a repair end for the harness where it plugs into the control. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need to change out the headlamp harness with the correct one for your LF/UF quad headlamps. Western p/n is 61581. They're not too common anymore so most dealers won't have one. Think I still have one or two brand new in the box on the shelf if you'd be interested.

You can also purchase a new truck side controller plug from Western but the price will shock you. However, since it's Molex and you're familiar with that save some coin and get the housing and pins from a local hobby/electronics shop for $3.00 and repair it yourself instead of paying an astronomical $45.00 for the same thing from Western.

3. stevehawk23

from CT

Thanks, that is a huge help. I cant find a good picture or diagram of that headlight harness, so im wondering how it is configured. Is it just an adapter that plugs right in to my harness with the other plugs on it? My harness is all one complete piece.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The truck specific headlamp plug in harness is the section from the headlamp plugs (duh) over to where those same wire terminate at the relays. When swapping harness's for the correct headlamps you disconnect at the relays and change the whole harness from there to the headlamp plugs. An example would be all the solid wires in the image below.

Untitled (Small).png

5. stevehawk23

from CT

Ok that makes a little more sense. How much do you want for the ones you have for sale?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A quick image usually helps to clear things up. I can do $45.00 shipped right to your door including two new relays and all needed parts Western supplies in the box. If you're interested you can contact me directly at:

[​IMG]

7. stevehawk23

from CT

Sounds good, i will be in touch with you shortly. Thanks for all your help!

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No problem Steve. I looked and I do have one on the shelf yet so just give me a holler and it's yours. :salute:

9. stevehawk23

from CT

Ok sir, i do need that 61581 headlight harness. If you have one, im also looking for the 27070 repair end as well. Let me know the best way to go about the transaction and we can go from there. Thanks again!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

One more post and you'll have PM functions Steve so you can drop me a line that way, or via email either way is fine. Might be able to get you fixed up with a repair end also. Thumbs Up

11. stevehawk23

from CT

Ok i will PM you for price, payment, and shipping info. Thanks for all your help through this dilema!