1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount wiring help?????

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jsc824, Dec 3, 2010.

1. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

I just purchased a used western unimount. It came off of a 89 Chevy 1500. I am putting it on a 97 chevy 1500.

I have the wiring harness from the 89 but i don't think it will work as the headlight connections are not the same.

My question is, is this what i need.

1. Headlight harness 61515? I have DRL does this include the drl relay or do I have to get that separately?

2. I have the solenoid from the truck i removed it from. Will that work on my truck along with the battery cables?

Any help will be great. I am a complete newbie when it comes to plows.

Thanks in advacne

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Harness depends on what headlights you have on the truck, 2b/2d or hb3/hb4.

Drl kit is just a wire with to female spade terminals on one end and a inline fuse at the other, pretty easy to make your self.

Solenoid will work, they are not truck specific.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

61515 will give you way more parts (at more cost) than you need. Just need a 61716 plug in harness for the HB3/HB4's and then a 61584 DRL kit if you want the DRL's to switch to the plow. Which is optional.

Everything else you have can be reused.

4. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Ok thanks guys. I dont care for the DRL, as a matter of fact I pulled the fuse out, bc I was they would always turn on when I start the truck by remote start, and it bothered me in the wee hours of the morning.

I will look into that harness. Does fisher offer the same harness that will work. I have numerous fisher dealers around me and few western dealers. If so do you know the harness # by chance?

5. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

B&B- I just looked up that part 61716. I am confused by looking at it. Are you saying that it attaches to the the harness that I have to adapt the hb3/4 lights? If so where does it attach. The harness I got with the plow is 61581

I just double checked the plow harness on the plow end and it is definatley a 9 pin. The wiring harness I have and numbers are 12 pin. I assume I want the 9 pin as that is what is on the plow?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You disconnect the plug in harness that you have from the leads on the main control harness and relays and connect the new one on.

8267 should be the Fisher p/n IIRC.

7. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Ok there apears to be a brownish colored wire that is hard wired to the control harness. In the middle is a black rubbery thing about 2inches wide. Is that a splice?

8. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

61581 is the headlight harness for the dual small glass lights "LF/UF" , it was what was on the truck you got the plow from , remove that harness and replace it with the 61716 headlight harness "HB3/HB4" that B&B mentioned , it will be a direct plug in for your truck providing you have the composite HB3/HB4 headlights.

As far as the control portion of the harness , does yours have any tags on it , it sould be a 61437 for the 9 pin control harness , don't be misled by the # of holes in the end of the plug , here will be 12 whereas only 9 are actually used.

If you want to shoot me an email I can send you the .pdf of the wiring diagram for your truck , mention your actual headlight type on your truck now (or include a photo of the front end) . I probably also have a harness if you are not in too much of a hurry.

tomsnastyz@yahoo.com

TOM

9. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

Ok. So basically after further looking at the plow, tge plow side is a 9 pin and the truck was wired with 12 pin plugs. So can I still just use the adapter or should I just get the whole harness to have it proprly wired?