1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount wiring ?? 98 ram to 2001 ram

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fatboyNJ, Dec 22, 2013.

1. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i am putting my fathers unimount plow back on my truck. i know his wiring is slightly different as it controls the plow but not the lights on my truck(have had it ononce before) but before i go out and spend money on a whole new harness does anyone know how i can make this one work"?? or if i can buy just a headlight part of the harenss
    once again
    98 ram 2500 harness into a 2001 ram 2500

thanks in advance for the help
    gary

2. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

anyone??

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So its a unimount harness. But theres no headlight adaptors for it? And you want to know what headlight harness you need correct?

4. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

correct it is a unimount harness and it DOES have the headlight harness as well but it was off a 98, my truck is a 01. in the past we tried it and the lights did not work, something is different. wondering if anyone knows what i can do to make this harness work without buying a new one

im thinking about cutting and making my own plugs if i can figure out what wires would need to be switched

5. dieselss

Are the headlights the same?

6. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

A uni for those years use the same harness. Should swithc right over. If you have the correct harness, it will work on both trucks. Do you have the one with the relays or the Isolation box?

7. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

its relays...and it doesnt go right over...something is different in the headlights...ive tried it on my truck in the past and plow works as should but lights dont work... i feel as that it can be made to work just not sure how

8. dieselss

Ok. Are the headlights the same?

9. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Do you have the harness grounded? According to Western, they are the same.

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the two trucks headlights look the same, as in both are simple three prong sealed beams then they should just plug in and work. Pull the plugs off the bulbs and plug the truck cable into relay harness. Then plug the other gender plug of relay harness into the bulb. Make sure the marker light wire is connected because that is what turns the relays on.
    Perhaps download the mechanics guide from the western website to get the wire colors and connections. There r some critical wires on both the motor relay and battery ground.
    If it still doesn't work u could just install a manual switch like Boss and select plow or truck as u please.

11. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Yes headlights are the same but I just did a 98 dodge and it was the simple 2 headlight relay wiring. Then I did a 99 dodge and that required a 9 pin harness with 4 headlight relays! I will look into the 2001 but it would need at least the 4 relay setup or possibly a 12 pin harness.

12. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Does it have DRL's?

13. loudredram

loudredram Member

You need a 4 relay setup as the headlight grounds were different from the 94-98 99-01 trucks I have a full harness here in north jersey forsale from my 01

14. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

im pretty sure my fathers in 4 realy as well out of the 98, but like ive repeated many times i knew something was different cuz it didnt work in the past....thanks you.....what are you looking for the harness??

15. vinnys

vinnys Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  16. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i know its confusing but the right wiring for my truck is 4 relay ive had it in the past...sold that set up and put my dads off his 98 on which is 2 realy and does not work im just gonna end up getting a new harness sooner or later but for the meantime i just didnt hook up the lights. my truck is big enough that the healdights work pretty well