1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Weight 6.5' vs 7.5' assembly

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by asudds, Jan 2, 2008.

1. asudds

asudds Junior Member

I have a line on a couple used plows and was hoping someone knew the weight difference between the 6.5 and 7.5 Western Unimount plows.

The 6.5 would be best for me since I have a smaller light duty rig, however its only for my personal driveway so I could likely go with either is the weights are close.

Any help would be appreciated

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is the 7.5 a standard or a pro model?

3. asudds

asudds Junior Member

How do you tell the difference visually?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The simple way to tell the difference is the Pro will have a shock absorber on the rear of the blade to control the blade trip. The standard wont.

What type of truck do you plan to mount it on?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  5. Jimni

Jimni Junior Member

There should'nt be much difference but maybe a hundred pounds . if even that.:drinkup:

6. asudds

asudds Junior Member

I know you are all going to freak out on me but I am putting it on a Stock Jeep XJ.

I have reviewed the forums and it looks like it is commonplace and the Jeep will hold up fine if care is taken. I plan to use it on my drive personally and maybe some of the neighbors to help offset the costs.

The consensus seems to be that the 7.5 plows much nicer than the 6 and 6.5 boards. I can pick up a used 7.5 locally for reasonably that has had home use only as well.

Is there anything to check/watch out for when buying a used unimount?

Thanks for the tips so far,

In the end I hope the set-up will run me about what a new snowbear would be... at least this way I'll have a plow for life.tymusic

Aaron

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So your already aware it's not something that's recommend? Since either the 6.5 or 7.5 is about 150-175 lbs heavier than any plow that's actually recommended for it, which is a big difference on an XJ...

But to answer your question, the 6.5 and 7.5 standard plows are only about a 25-30 lb difference in weight. But a 7.5 pro model is about 80-90 lbs heavier.

And the lightest of these plows is about 150 lb heavier than a Suburbanite, which is what is actually recommended for an XJ.