1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount vs. Ultramount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cumminswithplow, Dec 18, 2004.

1. cumminswithplow

cumminswithplow Senior Member

I have been running a boss 8' 2 v for the last 6 winters. Recently I tried a western mvp 8'6 and I loved it. This week I have an appointment to have one installed on my truck. Heres the catch. I can buy last years model with the older unimount style attachment system. It is $1100 cheaper then this years model. Or I can have the latest model with the ultramount system installed. Has anyone used these two? Is the new system worth the extra money? I have a 94 chevy 3/4 ton. Its a little over stock. With a 2 inch lift 33 " tires. Should I use timbres too? I havent yet but thought it might be a good idea. Any suggestions would be great.
  2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I have both the Unimount and the Ultramount. The Unimounts little foot is a pain in the ass. The Ultramount mount very easy to put on by your self. The Ultramount when to remove the receiver you can't even tell you have a plow on the truck. I like the Ultramount better.
  3. Robo

Robo Senior Member

I have never owned either mount type personally but have worked around many of both and the ultramount is very hard IMO to beat (maybe the best in the business). Both will work but the ultra is much easier to deal with. Now if snoway would adapt something similar I would really be happy :nod:
  4. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I have a unimount on my F-350, and just put a Ultramount om my Dodge.

I love the Ultramount, no doubt about it. Plow on in 60 seconds, off in 15 seconds. No wrestling required. Like previously said- I too have issues with little stand on the unimount.

I tend to remove my ultra plow more often when not needed, then I used to with my unimount. But you will need to decide if it's worth another 1100 to you. I found a one year old ultramount. The seller told me it was a unimount when i called, and was very happy to find it was an ultra.
  5. turfguy

turfguy Member

I love my ultramount and would NEVER go back to unimount. Belive me it was the best $1000 bucks I ever spent! I often drop my plow at the end of my route and go out to breakfast with my buddies zip thru the carwash and head out to my second job. ULTRAMOUNT, THE BEST DAMN SYSTEM EVER!
  6. lqmustang

lqmustang Member

I have a unimount, and it is the only plow I have had. I see alot seem to not like the stand, although I don't think it's all that much of a hassle. From other posts I have read it seems those with the ultramount really love that system, especially with the quick mounting and dismounting. I don't think the unimount is all that bad, as now that I am used to it, it takes me about 10 minutes to hook up, and about 5 to unhook. Keep in mind this is coming from someone that has never used an ultramount. I may change my mind if I was able to try it. The big question would be is the extra convenience of the ultramount worth spending the extra cash. $1100 is a nice chunk of change.
  7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Western sells an adapter that converts the unimounts to an ultra mount. Would it be cheaper for you to buy the old unimount and pay a few extra bucks for the converter?

Please double check that the unimount to ultra adapter is applicable for your application, I only remember seeing it advertised on their site while surfing last week.
  8. Henry

Henry Member

Ultramount is worth every penny IMO. I'm sure I'm not the only one to ever forget to lift the stand on a unimount. :mad:
  9. cumminswithplow

I was under the impression that I could buy the ultramount and then get an adapter for the unimount to hook up to that. I didn't realize it would also work the other way. It seems that I am finding the average time to install the unimount is less then 10 minutes. To me that seems like it would be easy. The boss that I had would rarely be on in under 10 minutes. And I had used it a lot. If we say an average per hour rate is $125 it would take 9 hours to pay the extra $1100. Thats aprox 54 times to attach the plow. I realize that doesnt take into consideration the extra time to unattach. I will be parking inside my garage where it is heated and level. I dont know if that makes a difference or not. Other then the mounting system. Does anyone know of any other advantages to this years plow?
  10. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

What is wrong with your Boss V plow?
  11. cumminswithplow

Responds slow. Leaves a large trail in the center. 6 years old. Lots of minor problems over the years. And on top of that the local dealer passed away. So there is no service in the middle of the night anymore. And when you own a boss you need service in the middle of the night.
  12. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

I've used both, ulrta is the only way to go, I would'nt even think twice about,
    i'm an ultra only guy
  13. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I have an 8' Unimount.. I agree it's a PITA to hookup. I have had a couple of people at plow dealers tell me that the Unimount is a little heavier duty than the Ultra. Not trying to start an argument as I have no "facts" to back that up. I will say more than one person has told me the Uni's hold up better in the long run. But the kickstand, etc are a real pain, esp. if you have to do it in the cold & snow. I'd say from personal experience that if you amortize the extra $1100 over the many years you will probably have the plow, the extra convenience is probably worth it.
  14. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

This is my 3rd year with my ultra, it snows, I plow, I pull in the garage, flip the legs down, pull 2 plugs, done in 2 miniutes and off to bed I go. store it inside after ever snow, I love it! :sleeping:
  15. cumminswithplow

Mine will always be inside when not in use. It will even be heated. So putting it on and off it will always be in a climate controlled situation.
  16. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

On a Unimount you have the frame on the truck that hangs down like a conventional plow. One of my truck that frame had to be replaced. During the summer the plow frame was cracked hopping curbs delivering mulch do a job site. It sheared off in a snow storm. With the Ultramount there isn't any thing hanging low to get caught if you go off road.
  17. cumminswithplow

Thats a good point. One that I hadn't thought about. I drive over curbs and off road on a daily basis. That might be worth the money.
  18. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

that ultra mount is better hands down
  19. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

yes clearance is an issue with the unimount. Also, according to my dealer, the cutting edge between the wings on first MVP's wear out faster than wing edges causing u to buy all 3 instead of just one. He told me that western corrected this problem on this years model. Something to think about. My dealer said my competitor spent 280 bucks on cutting edges last year and it was a brand new plow.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

because you have a chevy you don't have much ground clearance you have to go with the ultramount set up. i have the several unimount mpv and they are ok but as someone stated the old style doesn't work that great on uneven lots so the cutting edges wear out faster. also when newer trucks come out thier will only be under carriages for ultramounts.so get the ultramount . also don't forget to put dielectric grease on the plug plow pins.