1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount troubles

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mwadeson, Dec 23, 2010.

1. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

i was out plowing a lot a few days ago and the plow quit. I pulled cartridge valves cleaned and replaced as needed. Got it to work made a couple more passes and it quit again couldn't get it going. I short hooked the plow and got it to my house. after going through all the tests i have replaced pump, cartridge valves, flushed the whole system, everything i can think of. Plow not hooked up it will go up plow hooked up it will not blade is stuck angled right acts as if it is air locked somewhere but i have no idea what else to do i was going to check the pressure on the port the book tells you to but can not find an adapter. I did check it at the hose connections and they are both at 900-1100 psi. I have kinda given up but it is snowing right now i can take it to the dealer on monday and they will look at it but i kinda would like it for the weekend. If you have any ideas let me know. Thanks

2. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

What does the plow do? What functions work?

3. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

with the plow hooked up nothing works with out it hooked up it will raise the lift cylinder

4. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Let me get this right, with it mounted on the truck nothing works. If you take it off the mount and still conected it works? Or do you mean if the chain is not hooked?

5. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

chain not hooked

6. mikeitu7

mikeitu7 Senior Member
    from Palos

Have you checked your motor

7. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

motor runs

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Check the ground wire black/orange. Make sure it hook up to the small terminal on the solenoid. Check the connector plug to see if you have any broken pins...Check the black/orange wire on the plow side.. Also check the power lead, mainly the ground lead to make sure it clean, and grounded properly.Check to see if you have any wires from the harness grounding out against the frame.. Check the controller harness where it comes through the fire wall to see if the casing is cut..

9. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

i have checked all the wiring i have power going to the coils and the motor i have good grounds

10. twinman326

When the plow is not hook up to the truck, how are you grounding the plow frame??

But did you check the controller harness?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  11. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

i have not had the unit off of the truck just the lift chain

12. twinman326

ok....You did check the fluid level?

You did manually move the plow left...then right to get the air out of the rams?

When you change the fluid and replace the pump, you did replace or clean the suction filter?

Before you put the valves back int the valve manifold, you did check each chamber to see if anything was blocking the passage way?

You also know there is other "valves" beside the "S" valves inside the valve manifold that might of cause the problem in the first place?

13. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

the problem is i can not move the plow manually and as far as the other valves i can not get the poppit check valves out i was hoping to find out some other stuff to check before i have to figure out a way to get those to come out

14. twinman326

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  15. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Remove the motor and inspect the sump for debris/ice , both in the sump and on the inlet screen to the pump.

If all checks out O.K in there I would start to suspect a worn gear pump with those pressure readings. Was the one you installed New , or out of another unit?

If the plow suddenly stopped I would also double and triple check the grille connections/pins , be sure they are clean.

TOM

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  16. mwadeson

mwadeson Junior Member
    from nd

Got It fixed took the local dealer a few hours to figure out what was wrong. The angle cylinder seal/packing was deteriorating had a split in my pump that was letting the fibers in bypassing the filter and in the end created a blockage in the valve body. The one suggestion we have gotten from this is every year replace seals/packings in all your cylinders. When we pulled the original pump we seen the split in it and thought it was from when the pump locked up by that time the damage was done

17. twinman326

Glad to hear the you solve the problem