1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount trouble

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowman4life, Aug 21, 2008.

1. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

need some help solving a little problem im having with my unimount.

today i changed out the angle rams with brand new ones b/c the old ones were beat. so i put them on teflon taped the fittings. filled the pump and tried to test it. it moved but it sounds funny almost like a squeal and the plow moves but not smooth it jumps like crazy. going up or left and right. it also takes about 2-3 seconds of the squealing before the thing will even move.

i tried bleeding the air probobly didnt do it correctly. also tried adding some extra fluid. also tried draing some out.

im using western hydrolic fluid if that matters.

and its the first time ive done any maintenence to the pump since i bought it. and ive never done anything to a unimount so i probobly missed something. still trying to learn the pump.

what do you think it could be? air in the pump. if so could somone go over the proper procedure for bleeding the air. cuz ive never been so confused with a plow in my life.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most likely its just full of air. Give it time to settle what air is mixed in the fluid now and then if necessary crack the fittings at each ram a little and angle the blade to remove the air. Try to get the rear of the rams higher than the front to help with air removal if possible. Make sure to not run it low on fluid in the process.

A good tip when changing rams on any plow is to pre-fill the rams and hoses with fluid before installing them. Saves a lot of time, effort, mess, as well as fluid later.

Since you've never done any maintenance to it this would have been an excellent time for a full flush and filter clean too... may want to still consider it.
  3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

thanks B&B.

i got the jerking problem taken care of. but now it wont angle left ot right. this thing will jerk once and stop and just squeal.

idk what it is. b/c the thing moved left and right yesterday. and now that it has proper fluid ammount it wont go left or right.

i dont think it bad valves b/c it worked fine yesterday before i changed the angle rams. and the chances of both valuves going at once are probobly slim to none. let alone overnight.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

and thanks again B&B
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the S2 valve is dead, stuck, and/or contaminated (possibly with Teflon tape) which will cause it to not angle in either direction.

It uses the S2 and S3 together to angle left.

And it uses the S2 by itself to angle right.

So you can see that if the S2 isn't opening, it wont angle in either direction.

The S2 is in the top row closest to the angle ports. Will have a LT green wire.