1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Swap

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sterlinglandl, Oct 22, 2013.

1. sterlinglandl

sterlinglandl Junior Member
    from Clinton

I have an excellent unimount plow currently on a 1997 Chevy and would like to put it on a 2005 Dodge Ram but unsure if it is possible. I know that I would have to go with the ultramount plow mount with a unimount adapter to get the plow on but...1. can I pull the joystick and wiring out of the Chevy and make the plow work? And 2. Can I adapt the newer ultramount headlight harnesses to work with the unimount plow wiring? New to the forum and appreciate any help I can get.
  2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

As far as #1 yes. You can pull the control harness power cord relay and jumper and put that in any truck to make the plow work. As far as #2 it gets complicated. Easiest thing would be to run plow lights off a simple toggle switch and disable truck lights.
  3. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

the other way would be to use isolation module wiring on the truck, and then yes, it's possible to convert the plow to iso 3 plug by rewiring or replacing the plow lights, and adding the third harness to the coils on the power unit.
    that's the 'right' way to do it, but western1 is right, the cheapest way around it is to run the plow lights on a separate switch.
  4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

If you want to convert the plow I should have the harnesses for that like nealy said. It is the better way!
  5. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

I was searching for info on almost the exact same swap and found this thread. I want to take a unimount off a 97 Chevy 2500 and put it on an 06 Ram 2500 diesel.

I was more or less planning a similar route with the Ultramount and uni adapter, but the wiring had me as well. So should I get the Ultramount wiring for that vehicle, then convert the plow over to it? Which wiring to do I need, and what would need converting, just the lights?

Thanks in advance!
  6. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Plow would need to be converted to the isolation module style with 3 plugs. Someone can give you the part numbers. Like Nealy. As far as the truck you can use the western quick match.
  7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

U will need to convert the plow to three plug system. U would have the two plug on a uni original. That combines lights and controls on one plug. The three plug has separate plugs for lights and controls. It's not going to b cheap. All new cables and isolation module for truck, new ultra mount truck side, uni adapter and two new cables for plow. You are spending so much I have to wonder if it wouldn't b better to sell that nice uni to someone who has a truck rigged for it and buy a new one for yourself. Think about it... This is going to cost over $2000. Is it worth it?
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

You may have a point there about the cost. I'll have to give that some thought.
  9. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hi guys,
    yea, it will be pretty expensive, about $700 for mount and adapter, about $550 for iso wiring, and about $200-350 to convert the plow, depending on if you rewire the old lights or replace them. .. this is assuming we're talking a straight unimount, and not an mvp.

part numbers:
    63883-2 ultramount mount
    27170 ultramount to unimount adapter

three plug iso wiring for 06 Dodge:
    29070-1 module
    28055 harness kit
    29049 h/l harness kit
    29047 adapter
    that leaves battery cables and solenoid if you need them:
    56131-k2, 61169, 22511k

then to convert the plow:
    64100 lights or 26377 harness if you're going to rewire your old ones
    26359 harness to go to the coils on the power unit.
    (note: if the unimount plow has the really tall light brackets, you will need the shorter ones 63532 and 63533 for two each).

that should be it. another possibility is just using the relay wiring you have to make the plow work, and run a separate toggle switch for the plow lights.
  10. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I may end up going the route of using the unimount wiring to operate the plow and rewiring the lights. Thanks again.
  11. tkoyen

tkoyen Junior Member

Just an update. I'm still using the 97 Chevy 2500 to plow, and I ended up having issues with the original Western lights on the Unimount as both the lights and the harness were pretty roached out. So I bought a set of the Buyers lights and wired them directly using a toggle switch in the cab. It wasn't all that difficult and they work well. If I ever do move the plow over to my 06 Dodge, I'll probably just direct wire the lights and forgo all the additional work of updating the plow to the newer modules.

Thanks again for all the advice.