1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount suddenly stopped working

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jerryleight, Dec 11, 2008.

1. jerryleight

jerryleight Junior Member

I have a older unimount system and it was working fine and all of the sudden when plowing it would not go up. No matter what way you moved the controller it would want to drift right only. It sounds like the pump is straining as though it is raised all the way up. I took the valves out and took them to the western dealer He said the were all ok. I put 12 volts the the solenoids and they all seem to be energized. I tried a different controller. The motor runs when you move the controller but like I said it sounds strained and the only movement it flaring the the right no matter what position you move the controller

2. jerryleight

I also took the pump apart and everything looks ok there to

3. jerryleight

any help with this would be great It is suppose to snow this weekend and tomorrow is the last chance to get parts until Monday

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

This is a copy of mine from another post hopefully it'll help you out, not all of it will apply to you since you know the motor runs. I had the same problem as you earlier this year and it turned out to be a bad circuit board in the controller.

First thing run some jumper cables to the motor on the plow, if the motor runs that's good news, if not you'll need a new one then continue from there.

Make sure you're getting 12V from the + wire at the pump when the solenoid is engaged, check the ground from the pump to the truck as well.

If all of that is good, then you can move inside. On the white control plug on the truck side with the two v shaped cut outs on top the terminals will look like this

There should be 12v between 1 and 3 with the truck key in the on position, if not find the red wire and where it taps there may be a blown fuse or bad connection.

Jump 1 to 4, motor should run, if not check the brown/red wire to the solenoid and repair.

Jump 1 to 6 the S1 solenoid (top right behind the red plastic cover on the pump) should be magnetized and the white wire should have 12v.

Jump 1 to 2 the S2 solenoid (top left behind the red plastic cover on the pump) should be magnetized and the green wire should have 12v.

Jump 1 to 5 the S3 solenoid (bottom behind the red plastic cover on the pump) should be magnetized and the blue wire should have 12v.

If all those are good, move on if no solenoids are magnetized even though there's 12v replace them.

Now jump 1-4-5 the plow should raise

Jump 1-4-2-5 the plow should angle left.

Jump 1-4-2 the plow should angle right.

If all of these work plug the controller in, it should power on and work fine if not your controller is probably bad.

To test the controller, ground yourself. Then remove the two screws on the side of the controller and unplug the cord from the circuit board.

The rectangle white plug that goes to the truck will look like this facing you with the two v's on top

Check Pin 1 for continuity with the white and black wires on the other plug.

Check Pin 2 for continuity with the red wire on the other plug.

Check Pin 3 for continuity with the green wire on the other plug.

Check Pin 4 for continuity with the orange wire on the other plug.

Check Pin 5 for continuity with the blue wire on the other plug.

Check Pin 6 for continuity with the yellow wire on the other plug.

If there is no continuity between any of these the cord is bad. Replace it, if they are all good put the controller back together.

Using the battery connect the controller side pin 1 with a 6 amp fuse to 12v, pin 3 to a ground. The controller power light should come on when you hit the power button, if not the circuit board is bad.

This is easier to do with a helper, with the controller power on check the output to the pins 4 should have 12v with all movements besides lower.

Raise pin 5 should have 12v.

Right angle pin 2 should have 12v.

Left angel pin 2 and 5 should have 12v.

If you don't have 12v to the pins, the circuit board is bad and can be replaced for around $160, which is still cheaper than the $300 they're asking for the whole controller.

5. jerryleight

Thanks but I think you are talking about a system with a isolation module
    I do not have a isolation module in my system.The wires come from the controller right to the pump assembly

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  6. jerryleight

Does anyony else have any ideas?

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If the motor is running your getting atleast half a signal from the controller, now you need to find out if your getting the rest of the signals. Start by downloading/printing the mechanics guide from westerns site (under publications). With help and using the guide and test light, check to see that the coils are getting power for the selected function and that the ground circuit to the valves is good. No power to valves = bad controller (try another controller) or bad harness (check 9 pin connector for missing pins). You can also check the 9 pin truck side for power at the correct pins (see mechanics guide). Start with that and see what you get and if you take a few minutes and look through the mechanics guide you will see where it will walk you through every step to solving your problem.

If not, keep posting what your getting or not getting.

If you find the problem, let us know what you found.

link to guide http://www.westernplows.com/publibrary.asp?cat=242

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

What controller do you have?

9. jerryleight

Fixed

It was a weak electric solenoid on the pump It had a weak magnatic pull when energized
    Replaced it and works great again
    Thanks everyone for all the help