1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount stuck in up position

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by se120rg, Feb 8, 2014.

1. se120rg

se120rg Junior Member

Older unimount working great until I pulled in barn after plowing this morning. It is stuck in full up. Angles left and right but will not go down. Any help would be great

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds like S1 valve failure unless someone screwed the quill valve in to the end. Check your grill plug, check your controller plug and then check your S1 coil for magnetism. Pull cover off valves, put a block or jack under blade so it doesn't drop on your feet, then put controller in float mode. Once the green float light is on take a screwdriver to the end of the S1 coil to see if it's magnetized. If yes then replace valve, if no look at wiring.

3. se120rg

se120rg Junior Member

OK thanks

I checked the S1 valve and it is not magnetized. So that leaves me with probably the controller. Its an old one and I doubt its the plug harness because that is fairly new and clean. Any tips on what pins to check on the grill harness just to be sure?

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I can't make a link to the schematics on my phone but if u look at the thread called "uni mount proble" on the 5th entry there is a link to the mechanics guide. Or u could unplug the controller and use a continuety tester (ohmmeter) to trace the controller plug pin from the signal wire at the S1 coil. Disconnect the common ground wire from the coil, hook one tester wire to the other side of the coil and then find zero resistance on one pin of the six pin controller plug. That will be the S1 pin.

5. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You could also check it at the controller plug. Should be the white wire. Sometimes a wire will break off at that connector.

6. Urdum2

Urdum2 Member

could just be frozen too.....have had this happen to me a couple of times in last 26 years....also have had the wire jump off from all the jarring around....

7. se120rg

se120rg Junior Member

Got it fixed! turned out to be the controller, jumped the white wire on the pump and it went down. Took the controller apart and found the white wire had a couple cracks in the plastic coating. must have been grounding out.

thanks for all the help

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Good deal! Glad to hear you figured it out!