1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Stuck in UP position

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jersey Joe, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Junior Member
    from NJ

I posted this at the end of another thread but I think it should be in it's own. I just installed a used Unimount on my 1991 Toyota PU. We jacked it up and hung it up by the chain. We were going to do all the wiring back at my house. We put a new solenoid I bought at an auto parts store, hooked it up, and it actually worked. Up, down, left, right. We then tried to hook up the light harness. Well, that didn't go so well. The connectors to the three relays seem to be very corroded. I'm going to bye three new relays and put new connectors on the wires and see if that helps. Here's my real problem though. Now the plow will not go down. It goes up and side to side fine. Could anything on the light side of the harness effect the plow side? Could it be the joystick? Any help would be appreciated. Also, is it bad for the plow to be "stuck" in the up position?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to post a bit more detail about the plow to answer your questions about the electrical. Unimount says only how it mounts. Is it a V plow, straight blade, icermatic, flowstat????? They all have different wiring. Generally speaking the light relays have nothing to do with the plow operation except to enable / dissable it completly. I suspect you have a simple bad wire somewhere causing the down failure.

As for leaving it suspended by the chains. That won't destroy the truck over night but over long periods of time that weight on the front end will affect your springs. If you have a little jack let the weight off the truck when you leave it parked for a long time or just take the plow off until you get time to fix it.

Give us some more details and I am sure someone will pull down the approprate schematics.

3. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Junior Member
    from NJ

4. mishnick

That's an isarmatic mark III hydraulic unit. on a standard straight blade quadrant and a frame. This one is nutorious for wearing out the plow pivot point and bending the quadrant. Lift the plow and try to shake the plow. If the plow moves up & down on the ends or in & out at the top then you need to deal with that too.

Check out this link for the schematic. http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/13625_121792.pdf

I believe that the coil with the white/yellow wire is for the down function. You could try pulling that valve and see that it moves freely. You could just put 12V across it and see if it drops the plow. Then you know the valve and coil are good. You probably have an open in the wire between the control and the plow.

5. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks Mishnick! At least now I know what I have. The plow WAS going up and down just fine for us. Than about half an hour later after messing with the lighting it wouldn't drop. That makes me think the valve and such are OK correct? I suspect the wiring also. When you say put 12volts across it do I just run a HOT lead to it?

6. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

You can leave the black/orange wire (ground) on the solenoid, and remove the other wire. Run a wire or jumper cable from the positive post of the battery to that terminal.
    WATCH YOUR TOES!! The plow will drop if working properly.

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Try checking the S1 valve to make sure it is spooling (movement up and down). Also check the seals, and to see if the valve is bent.

Here is a test
    mytest.jpg

Also check the connector (grill plug) to make sure it is clean, no pins broken or bent.

Removing the brown/red wire for the solenoid is not going to fix your problem..

Pretty sure this is your wiring for your truck
    mytotyo.jpg

I see you have some wires cut on the plow harness

what year and truck is it?

mytest.jpg

mytotyo.jpg

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  8. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can take a look at it tomorrow after work. If it gets too complicated I may just have to punt and take it to a plow expert. I can turn a wrench but I'm no mechanic. It Just bugs me because it WAS working...very frustrating. Would it be advisable to take apart the joystick and clean the inside or should I just try your other test suggestions first?

"I see you have some wires cut on the plow harness "

Those wires have to be connected separately to the directional and running lights according to the installation instructions. If that's incorrect please advise.

TIA

--JJ

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

what colors are the wires that are cut??

10. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Junior Member
    from NJ

Solid BROWN and solid GRAY

11. mishnick

I agree with all the above.... That black / orange is the common ground so you can just jump from battery pos to the other pin with that wire removed (so you don't feed back through the joystick) If the plow doesn't go down when you do that the valve must be sticking. You can check to see if the valve is spooling the same way. Just remove the valve cartraige then do the same thing again. You should hear a clear click and should see the valve move from the end. The cartraige is like a spark plug. Just remove the nut from the end so get the coil off, then unscrew the valve with a deep socket. Then put the coil back on (don't need the nut) and put power to it again.

You are probably right though that the valve is OK since it worked befor you messed with the wires. Have a look at what you were handling and see if there is not something obvious disconnected.

12. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Junior Member
    from NJ

My BIL brought over 3 new relays, replaced corroded connectors, and cleaned all other connections with contact cleaner. After all that the plow works great. The headlights still do not work though. It's as if the switch on the joystick isn't working though he tested it and it seemed ok. When he injected 12v to the relay the lights worked as they should. We did not connect parking lights and turn signals, could that be the problem? Thanks again for your help.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plow lamps won't function without the parking lamp wire connected. Need to get that connected up.

14. Jersey Joe

Jersey Joe Junior Member
    from NJ

"Plow lamps won't function without the parking lamp wire connected. Need to get that connected up."

That is really good news. Hopefully I can get the truck in the garage this coming weekend. Weather in NJ has been tough this winter. Thanks for the post.

15. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if the plow is stuck up dont pull the S-1 valve out without a jack or something supporting the blade. oil will be on you.