1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount straight won't move

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by chachi1984, Nov 14, 2015.

1. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

So I hooked up the plow for the first time this season .
    The controllers red light comes on but nothing will move .
    I can hear a tick noise every time I press the controller up but that's all . Checked the fluid and it looks low but I can see some in the bottom. Could it be low fluid? This plow usually leaks a bit of fluid through the year

Thanks

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

check all connections, especially the grounds

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck power at the small terminal when your pressing U, L, R. Test light should light up. Then check the big terminals, one is power in, then the other is switched power out.

I'd get the fluid leak fixed asap IMO

4. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

I'll spray the connections , it leaks from the ram

5. dieselss

The lift ram seals and ram aren't that expensive.
    Doubt just spraying the connections will do anything.

6. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

Ok I'll check for power. It was working fine at the end of the season , Could there be a bad connection ?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Are you getting a large draw on electrical system when trying to move plow? If so the motor may be stuck from sitting. Now I am gonna get crap for this but you can try tapping the motor lightly while some tries to operate the plow, stay clear of plow and don't use a 10# sledge with a full swing to tap the motor that will not help.

8. dieselss

10# rubber mallet will be fine.

9. kimber750

I prefer my soft face dead blows that way it won't bounce back and hit me in the head. :mechanic:

10. dieselss

I like the challenge, keeps me on my toes.

Ninja skills even

11. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

what do you mean draw. . No lights dime or anything in the truck. All we hear is a click noise at the motor

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Take a set of jumper cables, connect to battery, then to motor, see if it spins.

13. dieselss

Tap the motor as kimber said

14. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

Where do I hook the power cable to the motor . Where the power wire hooks up

15. kimber750

Correct, again stay clear of the blade. I normally hook jumpers to the plow motor then to battery this way I am away from the blade.

16. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Buy a cheap 12V test light, connect the alligator to the battery negative then verify the power is getting to the hot side of your solenoid / relay (the thing that is making the clicky noise) Then touch the other big lug on the relay / solenoid and get someone to hit the up button on the controller. The test light should come on when it clicks. If not replace the solenoid / relay. if it does light up then move the test light to the positive lug on the plow motor and try again. If it lights up there your relay, plug and + cables are OK, if not then look for damage or a bad plug. If that lights up but motor still doesn't turn put the test light on the negative lug and hit the up button again. It should NOT light up there when you hit the up button, if it does you have a bad ground connection on your motor, grill plug or the other end where it is connected to the battery ground post or engine block. If the light comes on at the motor + but not on the negative you have a motor problem. Hold the up button and give the motor a whack with a dead blow to make the brushes move a bit, that may get it going. If not the motor is worn out and needs to be rebuild or replaced.
    Another quick trick is to use a booster cable to jump directly from the battery + to the pump motor +. But as said above don't stand close to the plow because it may jump to the right because no buttons are pressed to give it direction. You can also go one step further and connect the other side of the booster cable from battery - directly to the motor negative post. This will bypass any bad connection on the motor ground cables and plugs.

17. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

We boosted the motor with cable and it worked right away just to get it home . After a while with the test light we cleaned up the solenoid with wire brush put it back together and it worked . Thanks for the help

18. dieselss

I'd look into getting a new solenoid them. Just my .01

19. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I agree, and they're only a few bucks.

20. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x3 on that thought

create.php?id=cyan%5E_%5Earial%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E0%5E_%5EThese+guys+are+on+to+something%5E_%5E.gif