1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount-Spits sputters or won't move angling, pushing fluid out at the motor gasket

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dbdragon, Jan 17, 2014.

1. dbdragon

dbdragon Junior Member

Hey guys, new to the forum, I have read a lot and there is a lot of expertise out there.. I am having a problem, started last storm and it's killing me. Plow goes up/down fine, most of the time it will not angle left/right, it started out moving really slow then just stopped altogether.. It then is pushing fluid out of the reservoir at the motor gasket. Motor works fine, pump sounds like it's starving for fluid when trying to go left/right, spits and sputters. Here's where I started... I flushed the fluid with a flush solution thinking moisture got in, was a tad milky but not bad, still blue.. filled it with new fluid, after I sprayed the pickup screen clean, which had fine metal filings on it, not a lot but some nonetheless.. I then thought maybe the motor was losing power even tho you would think up/down takes more power but I replaced it anyway. Didn't fix it. I then thought a cartridge was sticking open or closed so I just replaced all 3, did not fix it. I am at a loss here, idk where to start now, no clue how the relief valves or quills work I need some help, I am very mechanically and electrically inclined but when it comes to this manifold setup I really don't know how it works and why the fluid is being pushed out when it clearly is not overfull, any help would be greatly appreciated

2. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Sounds like the pump is bad. Also, may [still] have some contamination in there. Did you flush the rams and manifold when you cleaned it?

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Agree with john. Did you completely drain the system?
    What I would try first, try to angle the plow by hand. Remove both lines. Put in container. And angle back and forth. That will tell u if you have ram/physical problems. Or other.

4. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Also. Pull your poppet valves and check for any dirt. My Unimount wouldn't angle and was easy to move by hand. I was missing some parts in the valves. So make sure the valves are working and clean.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sounds to me like u need a new motor to reservoir gasket and a crossover relief valve. If it lifts ok then u have more than enough pressure from the pump to angle.
    U need to go to the western website and download the mechanics guide for the Isarmatic.

6. dbdragon

dbdragon Junior Member

Thanks guys, yes when I flushed I angled by hand to get everything out of the rams as well, I talked to a guy that rebuilds these and he said it is most likely a poppet valve is either stuck or spring is broken, I will pull those today and look, ran out of daylight yesterday.. He said it happens when you hit something too hard like a curb or frozen pile.. If they are ok then relief valves need to be reset.. I'll keep you posted, thanks for the help

7. dbdragon

dbdragon Junior Member

oh and weareweird69, nice fleet.. I have a 93 notch project car :), when I drained the fluid and hand moved the plow it moved freely so it's definitely fluid being blocked/held somewhere...

8. weareweird69

Yeah. Pull those poppets out and inspect. When I got my plow it was missing the check ball. I have yet to figure out how that happened ....

And thanks! The fox body cars are in high demand still. Its insane lol

9. Drconstruction

Drconstruction Junior Member

I might have the same problem with the poppet valve. Plow won't go left at the same speed as going right. Lift speed is fine. Installed new angle cylinders, cleaned filter, flushed and filled with new fluid, still slower going left than right. What do I have to watch out for doing this poppet valve service?

10. weareweird69

Don't lose any parts. There is a spring and ball in there. So don't let them get away from you.