1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount shudders when angling

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by weareweird69, Feb 10, 2014.

1. weareweird69

weareweird69 Senior Member

Did a search. Found that the poppets could be worn. I'll inspect the today.

However. Yesterday I had the plow freeze up. I'm guessing water froze in it because after 45 minutes in the warm garage. It started working again.

I flushed the rams and housing out and did a fluid change. It worked fine after that.

Then last night after the 20 mile drive home, it started this shuddering when turning left. Fine when going right. But seems slower than normal. I haven't checked the fluid level as of yet. Since I have to drive 20 miles to get to the garage with the tools.

After I use it a little. It seems to quit shuddering and operate normally.

Then it did it again this morning. After sitting for 8 hours in the cold. Then went away after I used it a little.

I didn't think to pay attention to if it did it raised only. which would be low fluid level.

So any ideas? I'll pull the poppet valves today and inspect. The one isn't that old because I replaced it when I got the plow. But that was 3-4 years ago?

Thanks guys.

So. What could cause this?

2. Jodan

Jodan Junior Member

Definitely check the fluid level. Sounds just like a low level problem or air still working out. IMO

3. weareweird69

Well. I used it for about 6 hours after the fluid change.

So if the air got worked out and made it low.... lol. Yeah that would do it.

Keep the ideas flowing!

4. weareweird69

Checked fluid. It was a LITTLE low. Not much at all.

5. Jodan

Jodan Junior Member

Well I've been told too, sometimes you need to crack the line going to the angling rams to get all of the air out, its the cheaper try before bigger things get tried out.

6. weareweird69

Ill try that another day. It hasn't done it since this morning oddly. I removed the bypass valves and 1 poppet. All looked good

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I disagree, don't crack your lines and spray fluid all over the place. Just lift the plow a bit off the ground and work it back and forth. Go right to the end and let the pump go over pressure relief for a moment to get max pressure. This will cause the air bubbles to be compressed by the 1500 psi and be absorbed by the fluid. Then when you let the pressure off that air will form small bubbles that are easily flushed out and back up into the reservoir where they settle out to the top. When I build a plow new, or replace rams etc, I just fill it and then run it through all extremes in three cycles. Fill, run check level, top up, run check level, usually the third level check it is still at the top.
    If it is failing when it gets cold you probably have ice crystals forming on your sump screen. Pull the motor out and examine the sump screen on the side of the pump. It's just a little plastic thing with flyscreen mesh to strain out the big chunks of dirt. Ice crystals collect on that when it's cold if you have water. I find it looks like snot, yes you know what I mean... Like a white slime that starves the pump for fluid.
    I suggest you leave the plow in a warm shop overnight. Drain all the fluid into a glass jar and then let is settle. Water will separate to the bottom and you will see it. If you do have water take the motor off and then clean the reservoir out with brake clean and then blow it out with compressed air. Blow out the sump screen real good too while you are in there. If you find a magnet pull it out and feel the magnetic mud stuck to it for metal particles. Should be so fine it feels like grease, if you feel bits like sand granules or bigger u have bigger issues. It is recommended that fluid be changed every fall just before snow season. Every two years if use is lite. And use blue fluid, not auto trans fluid.

8. weareweird69

That's what I am going to do. Currently, there is no snow in the future week or so, so I have some time to look at it.

I wish I had a way to leave it overnight warm :/ But don't.

I did the brake clean job of the pump and res. also cleaned the screen already.

I used blue fluid to fill it back up with, and its already ugly looking. I could probably change it AGAIN, but will wait until Fall to do that, since its so close to the end of the season.

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the new fluid already looks dirty then the fluid probably hasn't been changed in years. The dirty fluid in the rams mixed with the new and contaminated it. Still, better to have 80% new fluid. Change it every fall from now on and you will save yourself some headaches.

10. weareweird69

Yeah. It was changed in December 2010. I didn't use it last year at all. And lightly before then. I drained everything but the valve body.

And yeah going to do that every fall.

11. weareweird69

Went out today. Nothing. It moved super slow, then nothing at all. Won't lift or angle. Can't move anything by hand. It'll float down but not back up, even with no weight on the lift ram. I'll try to angle it by hand, once I get a helper to run the joystick.

This is pissing me off.

12. weareweird69

Pulled everything off. Plugged suction screen. Pulled the valves and inspected. all were good. No debris. Apparently the LINT FREE wipe I used. Wasn't lint free. All new fluid again. Working great. For now.

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

nope. definitely wrong.

14. Jodan

Jodan Junior Member

Well that came from a Meyer dealer saying that :confused:

15. ffmedjoe

ffmedjoe Junior Member
    from WI

mine was doing something similar so i put some grease in the c channel and it went away