1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UniMount Refurbish/Unique Moldboard Change

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SnyCo, Jan 19, 2011.

1. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

i have an old 7'6" proplow that has done its share of work and is ready for a refurb this coming spring. there are spots on the moldboard where you could possibly fit your hand through, and the pump hasn't been serviced in years as you can see below.

[​IMG]

my plan is pretty routine. pull the moldboard off, sandblast and powdercoat black everything possible, rebuild mechanicals, etc. the odd part is that i want to add permanent wings that resemble the Wide-out blade in its extended position but not as wide. since the plow is narrow for the truck (F250), i have to widen it some and i figured permanent "wings" angled forward would be to my best advantage (why, i don't know... just a theory in my head). pic below will help explain.

[​IMG]

i have access to stainless fabrication, so it's obvious what the moldboard will be constructed of. the frame behind it will resemble the original, factory style plow frame.
    dimensions are simple and shown in drawing. obviously 7'6' plus 12" on either side equals 9'6" but due to the angles, the overall width should be around 9'.

finished product will resemble this:

[​IMG]

my question is, will this be too wide for the truck? is there any reason why this configuration will not work properly for multi use (mostly commercial, 3 residential drives) plowing? is there anything else that comes to mind that would red flag the idea?

thanks guys... i appreciate your time. :drinkup:

2. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

forgot to mention... new lights of coarse ;)

3. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

to try and help a little any time you can plow a wider path than the truck you are going to cut down on your time on what ever you are doing. Also being you are wider than you truck while windrowing and your rear tires will not trac through that which was just plowed is a good thing, Plus if you are capable of fabricating all of that you are that more ahead of the game and in stainless steel is even better for rust prevention as well as snow sticking. Hope this helps a little bit.

The only down side of what you are going to do, is that if you come upon an area of which is narrower than the size of your plow because of the non removable wings you will not be able to plow it such as a bank drive threw.....Good Luck. Let us know how it goes Thumbs Up

4. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

very good point... thank you Thumbs Up

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I agree bigger is better. The only downside I can see is how the blade trips, the whole moldboard needs to fold forward and the wings will make it harder for it to trip. Also if there won't be a lot of give to the wings, Otherwise I think it is a great idea post a lot of pics when you do it

6. DIRISHMAN

Well I kinda agree with what he is sayin yes true a little bit. But on the same token it would be like havin a straight blade and putting on byers prowings. The blade still will trip but a lot of stress on the wings. but they still hold up to an extant. They do bend after repeated use and plow tripping though

7. SnyCo

SnyCo Member

would it be a better idea to just make a 8'6" or 9' straight blade and disregard the 'wing' idea? years ago i plowed with wings and really liked the performance but i'd rather have a mechanically correct plow.

thanks again for all the input.

8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe make the blade the true width you are trying to achieve and then make some wings to add if you need them.

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think the wings would be fine I just think a may be a good idea to make the cutting edges a bendable material. THis way when it trips the forward edges of the wings will be able to bend allowing it to trip much easier. Kinda like the pro plus add on wings. Or like Snow matt said make them removable then you would have more flexibilty with not being to wide for any of your driveways. Who knows you may pick up some new ones in years to come.

10. DIRISHMAN

Yes I do agree with snowmatt. The material should be of something pliable like the western wings to promote some give to them. JMO make the wings removable in some way. Just remember wings while windrowing promote the snow to move the center of the mold board to acheive better cleaning result. Just look at the vidoe of the western wideout and see. What they are sayin is true or just ask anyone with a vee with wings