1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselfreak, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

i have a western unimount plow i was wondering why the ram does not go all the way down when plow is lowered to the ground? is this normal or do i always haft to push it down when i put the plow on and off any help would be appreciated thanks mckenzie.
  2. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

The plow needs some extra drop available to it so it can keep plowing when you go over a hill. Otherwise it would leave snow on the ground.
  3. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

ok but I mean when i want to take the plow off or put it on the ram is so hard to push down it takes 2 people to push the ram down so there is slack in the chain to move the frame around to take it off and put it on. I just dont know how its so hard with 2 people to move it down to put extra slack in the chain but like u said its normal so i guess its ok thanks a lot for everything thanks mckenzie.
  4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

It isn't normal but over time you get junk in there and some small pitts in the chrome. Is the cylinder smooth? Is the packing nut to tight? If you replace the cylinder and packing and tighten it to proper specs it will slide down with one person smoothly. I had one that was so bad that even two people couldn't get it down.
  5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

There must be something wrong. One guy can push ours down with a bit of force. Make sure you leave your controller on, and the down button (or stick down) is the last movement you make on the controller before you go out and push down on the cylinder.
  6. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

I had the cylinders redone on my MVP plow two years ago and immediately noticed how stiff it was to "retract" the lift cylinder to remove slack from the chain, initally i hammered the lift arm, did'nt like that so did a stand up and pounch on it, did'nt like that when things were slick and switched over to a kick the chain method, and now after two years it's just loose enough i can put constant pressure on the chain by pulling on it, strong mind you, but it'll come down.

Will admit the plow works muuch better with the rebuilt cylinders:) so the trade off of being a lil stiff is worth it.
  7. dieselfreak

dieselfreak Member

the cylinder is smooth and there is no pitting on it but i have not taken the cylinder out or re done the packing. i have not touched the packing nut at all should i loosen it? thanks mckenzie
  8. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I had this happen with a plow that sat around for a long time. You can hang the front of the truck off of something (curb, downhill...) to get the plow low enough to bring the ram all the way down. Do it a few times and it might losen up. Worked for me.
  9. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

As far as loosening it won't hurt to try. It is normal for a little fluid to be on the shaft but not so much that it starts to run down the front of the pump. You can always tighten it back up. You could also replace the packing. If you do lube it up when you reassemble.