1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UNImount pump just making noise and not doing anything!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Snow2Go, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

I just picked up a used Unimount and didn't test it because it was late. Well I just hard wired it to a battery to test it. It was low on fluid and I topped t off. Still nothing, I can also just pull up on the ram and push it down along with turn it left and right. What's your thoughts.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you didn't activate any of the valves it will not do anything.

3. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

Howdo I test that or what do I need to take apart?

4. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

is it hooked up and wired into the truck???? or are you trying to bench test it ????? need more specifics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

bench testing it on the ground with a spare battery

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if you just put positive and negative to the motor it should run. nothing else will happen until you have power and ground to the controller.

8. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

yea.. you need another 12V lead to activate whatever selenoid you want opened up.. your just deadheading the pump right now.. not a good idea!!!!

9. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

Im not, I have the complete wiring harness laid out. I have it hooked up like it owuld be hooked up to the truck(minus the lights) You have your positive and negative cables, then you have your orange black wire(goes to ground) then you have your red one that is by your joystick that goes to power. Everything is hooked up correctly, Im not just sticking power to the motor. When I hit up, right or left on the joystick the pump whines but I get no movement. I can also just take the ram and pull it up and down with ease.

10. no lead

is the plow all set up with hoses and rams and everything? is it on the truck? turn on the controller and push up,up,up. can you still push the ram down?

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Wondering the same thing. Thinking hes about to find out how far you can shot fluid out of a 1/4 inch opening at 1500 psi when it finally angles.:eek:

12. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

I will try to explain again, the plow is COMPLETE and WIRED UP like it would be to a truck. The only thing is its not actually hooked up to a truck(This doesnt matter)

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you can pull up and down on the lift ram? stuck open valave ...i think its the s1 valve

14. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

ok how do you repair that?

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

remove the coil , remove the valve.... i would check to see if the coil is stuck on fist

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

do the bench test first

17. no lead

obvious question maybe? why not hook it to a truck with a unimount setup? why waste our time fiddling with some used plow you didnt even see work before parting with the $$$$???

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

doign that would only verify the truck side... there are other things that can go work

19. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

Guys Please stop saying to hook it up to the truck, it has nothing to do with it, a truck is a mear giant bracket that attaches to the plow, it has nothing to do with the operation of the pump.

You guys dont understand that are saying that stuff that you can take a harness lay it on the ground like i did and just wire it up temp to a spare battery, its the sammmmeeeee exact thing as hooking it up to a truck. There are 2 grounds and 2 positives, then you just use your normal harness plug for power and operation.

Elite thank you for your response, can you explain a bench test? Im going to tare into tomorrw and see whats up with the pump. Any good writeups?

20. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Once again the Western Mechanics Guide I posted above will have everything you need. It has detailed electrical and hydraulic diagrams showing exactly what each part does and where it is located.