1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pfehringer, Jan 6, 2010.

1. pfehringer

pfehringer Junior Member
    from NY

I have a Western Unimount plow that I use to plow my own driveway and a few others. About 2 weeks ago the plow stopped going up or angling. The motor was squeeling when I raised or angled the plow. I replaced the motor with a brand new one and it worked fine for two plowings and started doing the same thing. The fluid level is fine. I checked the electrical and found corrosion in the 12 pin connector so replaced both sides of the harness with new harnesses. The plow worked great again for two plowings and is now doing the same thing.

The plow will raise very slowly for a few inches and the motor stops. If you release the trigger and press again it will raise a few inches and quit again.

Any ideas would be helpful. I live in Western New York and a dead plow is not an option.

Thanks
    Paul

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

when was the last time you change the fluid?
    You might want to check the screen to see if there any slug or clog..

This should be the first step..

3. pfehringer

pfehringer Junior Member
    from NY

I always change the fluid just before winter, however when I replaced the motor the fluid was exposed for a short time, so that may be a possibility. I am assuming that the filter you are talking about is the one inside the hydrolic cylinder?

4. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

5. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

sounds like a plugged filter to me.

6. twinman326

Yes it the filter attach to the pump. While your in there, check the pump, it might be jamming up. Just keep in mind there an "o" ring on the bottom of the pump. It might be bad and seeping fluid?

7. pfehringer

pfehringer Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks everyone. I'll pull it in the garage tomorrow and check it out. I'll let you know how I make out.

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ohh forgot and not 100% sure you have one as some I have seen do and some don't but there may be a magnet in the housing too. If so make sure to clean it off.

9. pfehringer

pfehringer Junior Member
    from NY

OK... I pulled the truck into the garage this morning and took off the motor and drained the fluid. I took off the screen and it was pretty dirty. I cleaned out the entire chamber and the screen and found that magnet laying on the bottom covered in sludge. I cleaned that off too. I put everything back together and it works great now.:D

Thanks everyone for the great advice. They are calling for snow the next several days and I didn't want to be without the plow. :)

10. twinman326

Thanks.......Safe plowing and good luck.........