1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Ford-101, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

The plow picks up very slow and goes down very slow, but it goes left and right fine like it should.

Ive replace,
    1. motor
    3. S2 valve
    3. Truck side complete wiring

2. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

Slow up & down

tymusicFIRST OF ALL CHECK YOUR QUILL ADJUSTMENT, MAY HAVE TO BACK IT OUT SOME. NEXT LOOSEN THE LIFT RAM PACKING NUT LUBE SHAFT AND PACKING THEN FUNCTION PLOW UP & DOWN A FEW TIMES AND RE-ADJUST THE NUT. PACKING MAY HAVE DIED OUT CAUSING DRAG ON SHAFT. SEEN THIS TOO MANY TIMES. DONT TORQUE THE NUT TOO TIGHT JUST SEATED, THEY ARE SUPOSE TO SWEAT SO THEY CAN LUBE THEMSELVES. GOOD LUCK

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I ran into the same problem. I need to adjust the "Quill" in very small amounts. Some like it to drop fast, and some like it to drop medium speed (not too fast, and not too slow).

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Probably the quill adjustment. If it just goes up slow, could be a bad ground. Takes a lot more power to lift the plow than it does to angle it. The quill is an adjustment screw on the top of the pump assembly that controls the rate of fluid flow, and hence the drop speed. Turned in too far, and it starts controlling the lift speed too. I will try to take a picture of the screw and it's location when I get home if you need to know which screw to turn.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a picture. # 49 is the Quill adjustment screw. This might help

Turn clockwise will slow down the drop and lift. Turn counter clock wise drop and lift the plow faster (I believe I am right).

Western-Uni-Striaght-Hyd.gif

Here is a link. This might not be for your vehicle, but is does show how to adjust the quill if that is your problem. Look at pg#10 (drop speed adjustment)
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13591_111894.pdf

Western-Uni-Striaght-Hyd.gif

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  6. Ford-101

Ford-101 Senior Member

thanks alot guys for the help thats what it was ( the quill ) works fine now