1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Wagz_zgaW, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Wagz_zgaW

Wagz_zgaW Junior Member
    from Chicago

I just put a mount on a 1992 GMC Yukon, and all new wiring for a Unimount 9 Pin. After I put everything together the plow worked great. However I went to turn on the lights and the plow pump ran, but it wasnt doing anything, it seemed to have opened the valves at the same time and was fighting itself. Anyway any help would be great!

2. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Check your wireing, what did you tap into for the control power?

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You wired it wrong. Sounds like you put the green and white/yellow wire on the wrong valves. I done that my self more than once. The 3 valves work together in pairs or alone to activate different directions.

4. Wagz_zgaW

Wagz_zgaW Junior Member
    from Chicago

I checked the wiring again

It all seems good, Im assuming you are asking where i put the red wire inside the cab, the directions said to put it onto a circuit that is turned on when the key is turned on, so i used a spade terminal 'and used the radio. The only thing that is not clear on the directions is their is thre wires that run to the solinod. two are short and go to the oppsite terminals. But the other is longer. I attached it to the ground. Also i checked the wiring on the plow, the green/white/blue are all on the proper terminals. The thing i cant understand is the plow works fine. Its just when I try turn on the headlights.:dizzy:

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

It doesnt really make any sense...... Wheres B&B at????????:help:

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

There is ur problem. Thats the power wire to the entire relay system to make the lights work. That longer wire has to be attachet to the hot side of the plow cables.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm here sr :nod:
    And your right it doesn't make sense, has to be wire wrong somewhere..

The only way the pump can be running when the headlights are pulled on is if the motor solenoid is getting 12V when it shouldn't..

Wagz...the "longer wire" that you connected to ground... what color was it? Orange/black?

How old is this plow?

2 or 3 relays?

8. Wagz_zgaW

Wagz_zgaW Junior Member
    from Chicago

Longer wire

The wire that is longer is Orange/Black I figured it was a ground. But the rest of the ground systems seems to be Black/Orange. Another fact i located is the grounded system on the plow side with the cable connected has 3.6 volts when the lights are turned on. This leads me to beilive the light circuit is bleeding into the ground somewhere. If i remove the lights from the plow everything seems to work. As soon as i plug the lights in on the plow the relay seems to hum, and the plow motor starts up.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, the orange/black is the ground to the batt, so that's all good there.

What color are the two small wires on the solenoid?
    Should have an orange/black on one.
    And a brown/red on the other...

I'm just checking to see that the correct wires are on the solenoid before we go any farther..

10. Wagz_zgaW

Wagz_zgaW Junior Member
    from Chicago

Yes

That is correct, the Orange/Black is going from one side of the solenoid to the battery ground.
    And the brown/red goes to the other side of the solenoid.

The wire that seems to be the ground wire on the plow side is the Black/Orange, I belive it gets 3.6 volts after I turn on the lights.
    And the brown/red goes to the other side of the solenoid.

I have 2 relays.

The Plow itself is about 7 years old.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The blk/org on the plow side definitely shouldn't have voltage in it since it's a ground.

When you do connect the grill plugs with the lights on, does it try and switch from the truck lights to the plow lights like it should?

12. Wagz_zgaW

Wagz_zgaW Junior Member
    from Chicago

Grill plugs

B&B, yes when I connect the grill plugs the lights on the truck do go off.

The point I am at this morning is I have the lights on the plow removed and everything works on the plow. When I plug either light on the plow back in it operates the pump motor.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, the truck lights go off, but do the plow lights come on?

14. Wagz_zgaW

Wagz_zgaW Junior Member
    from Chicago

Done and done!

The plow side has two grounds, one right from the battery, and one on the wire harness for the light/control system. Welp, as is turns out if the control harness side is not %100 grounded to the battery it has small amount of DC volts continue on to the not completely grounded side. At any rate the moral of the story here is get a digital meter and find out exactly how much the system ground is grounded as it may result in some pretty weird problems.

Now that has been said its kinda like having a 110V AC system in your house that losses the neutral will result in just less than 110V ac on the neutral that is not connected to the panel. Anyway. Thanks for all your help.

All is good Happy New Year!

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

So you missed the small blk/org wire on the plow side? That could do it...

Chock it up to installer error I guess :nod:

16. Wagz_zgaW

Wagz_zgaW Junior Member
    from Chicago

The ground was installed

But it was rusty.....