1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

UniMount Pro Question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MikeRi24, Jan 30, 2010.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I have a Western UniMount Pro on my '94 Chevy I just bought. At some point I would like to take it off the truck, and I was wondering how exactly you go about doing that? I guess theres the 2 big pins on the sides that get pulled out, but theres nothing to hold the back of the plow frame up when its detached from the truck. My SnoDogg I had on my Jeep had like a trailer jack you inserted into the frame and that was used to hold the plow up when it was off the vehicle....this doesnt have anything like that so is there a part that I'm missing? If so, can I improvise with something until I get to Western dealer to get it?
  2. Racer593

Racer593 Member

You need the kickstand, bolt and spacer, and the 2 pins and clips. I didn't spend alot for the parts for mine. They actually work really good. I can take mine off in about a minute and a half and if I drive up to it right on the first shot, I can mount it in less than 5 minutes. Yes, I actually timed it once!!

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Your missing the stand and it counter parts.

Here is a pic with the parts circle

Angelo's supplies link. Just put the number in the search on the left side of the page.

Bolts, nuts and pins you might be able to find in a hardware store, or if you have a tractor supplies, They carry the "pins" and maybe the spacer. I pick up some of parts (bolts, nuts, pins, spacer) from tractor supplies.The had a spacer that was very close to the spacer western uses.. Just had to grind it down just a little.. But angelo's does carry them..

4. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

from what i can tell looks like the old style like mine i have no problem with out the jack i just put a 4x4 block under it.
  5. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I bought that plow new in 97, first time out I forgot to put up the kick stand. I bent it all to hell, and have also used a 4"x4" ever since, which I use to pry it up into place. Never bothered to replace it because I know I'd prolly just do it again.
  6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

parts seem cheap enough. I might use a scissor jack in the meantime.
  7. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

So, is it a common thing for the 2 large pins to be really jammed in there and damn near impossible to get out? I've been wrestling with that for a while too. any ideas?
  8. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

never had a problem with that maybe a hammer? lol
  9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I never had a problem with the stand pins..when I remove the plow from the truck, I give the chain some slack..that way I can move the "A" frame up or down while I am hooking up the plow to the truck..Easy for me.....
  10. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

yeah I just got it off, I found that an extra hand to hold the "DOWN" button on the controller while I pushed the ram down to put slack in the chain did the trick
  11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Don't bother with the kickstand, just get a solid block of wood that it at the right height.

From there, disconnect the electrical couplings that go to the truck, remove the two pins from the light tower, and then pull the four pins on each side of the plow, that hold that larger two pins in place. You may need a good set of pliers and a mini sledge. I've found that usually helps me, especially if they get rusted in there.
  12. RAW Details

RAW Details Senior Member

ive got 3 2x4's stacked and its almost perfect height. floor jack it up another inch and slide the pins in and go. im at about 5min to hook up.
  13. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I drop the blade on 2 small furniture dolly's jack up a frame pull pins slide another dolly under the a frame with a 4x4. Then I can move plow around and makes it easier to hook back up. Take me 5 minutes or less.
  14. Same here but I also use a small hyrdraulic bottle jack to get the plow frame up just enough where the pins slide right out with ease. 5 minutes on or off tops.