1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount pro plus problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bubba377, Oct 30, 2011.

1. bubba377

bubba377 Junior Member

I am having a problem with my plow 7.6 pro plus unimount. purchased used from a dealer late last year (used one time after installed last year).over the last couple weeks was dismanteled and cleaned and repainted.

here is my problem
    I can not get the get the plow blade to lift while trying to stack snow. but the pump will lift the blade if there is no pressure on the blade but is still slow .I have read some forums and it seems that the pump may be getting weak. not able to handle the extra pressure.

my question is can I just replace the pump or do i need to rebuild the whole assembly . or is there something I can try to fix the problem I don't wanna spend $500 plus for a rebuilt unit I just do my drive way,dads drive way and a elderly neighbors driveway thank you for your time:salute:
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you can replace just the pump.
    If you drain the oil and take the motor off look inside and you will see a small filter/screen. It pulls off, easier if you have small hands. Make sure that screen is clear. If it is full of crap it will restrict the flow of the fluid going to the pump.
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Best thing to do would be to test the pressure before you change parts but most people don't have gauges for that. It could be a host of other things other than the pump. You could test the voltage at the motor terminals while trying to lift. Supply is 12V so even under load it should be at least 10 volts otherwise the motor will not produce the torque required to make pressure. If low voltage is the problem then check your connections and relay terminals. There is also a a seal under the pump that could be leaking an allowing the pressure to escape. This seal is just a little o-ring, you have to remove the motor and pump to check it. While the pump is out you can split it and examine the gears, If they are loose and have a lot of free play between the meshing teeth then that is evidence that the pump is worn out. One last thing to check is the tension on the lift ram gland nut. Sometimes the seals swell during summer storage making them clamp down too tight on the lift ram. Try loosening the nut at the base of the lift ram, it may be that simple...
  4. bubba377

bubba377 Junior Member

update !! I removed the drive motor and cleaned the screen .it was fairly dirty and there was a lot-ta black stuff in the bottom of the housing (looked like bottom of a trans pans on a well over due service) cleaned everything up with brake clean and put back together .I haven't had time to test it was starting to get dark when I was done.

1) where do u test pressure at on the pump and what kind of tester do you use?
    2) is there another way to check to see if this fixed the problem?
  5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

At the base of the ram is a pipe plug with a hex key hole in it. You can test what pressure is being sent to the lift ram or there is another plug on the valve block that connects directly to the output of the pump before the valves, both will work. Since output pressure should be around 1600 to 1800 psi you need a gauge and hose that will take 2000 Psi. The other way to test if what you did helped is to just try to lift the plow. It should liftquickly and with ease if things are right.
  6. bubba377

bubba377 Junior Member

thanks for your help guys cleaning the filter and cleaning out the pump housing has seemd to fix the problem thanks for the great info!!!