1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount plow truck headlight ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wishingtoplow, Sep 22, 2013.

1. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

I have a 01 dodge 2500 with a western unimount. I have the right headlight wiring but my passenger headlight is dim on low and high beam. the driver side headlight is nice and bright. Anyone know where I should look exactly?or where to test?

2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I believe the proper harness should have 4 headlight relays. How many headlight relays do you have?

3. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

i have 4 relays

4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

could be a ground simple enough to figure out

5. wishingtoplow

wishingtoplow Member
    from Pa

where is the ground for the passenger side headlight

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Did you disassemble the connector behind the bulb ? They get all kind of nasty in there, and the connections tend to fail in the socket, as salt and moisture gets jammed in there. I completely disassembled mine, cleaned or replaced the sockets, and greased them up with dielectric grease to prevent it from re-occurring.

Sounds like a bad ground at the lamp, but it could be also at the relay where it runs through. Mine isn't set up that way, as I did custom relays for mine. Bad grounds give you dim lights, for the most part. It's a good practice to disassemble the relays / plugs, clean all the terminals, dielectric grease the newly cleaned surfaces and reassemble. If it's a bunch of wires like mine were, you could just do one at a time until you get them all.

Maintenance on any plow truck is essential for reliability.

7. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

If all else fails run a separate ground wire I also forgot yo mention ive seen a bad splice drivers side were it crosses over to the passenger side

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Start at the pass headlamp. Take it apart and ck the internals then proceed from there