1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount plow on new truck?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by EnesG, Jul 19, 2012.

1. EnesG

EnesG Junior Member
    from MN

Looking for some details on snow plow installers that have experience.

I have a western poly plow older one, from 2000 i believe, with the UniMount

And i'm getting a new truck in next few days (2012) and they are saying
    that they don't make the UniMount for the newer trucks.

He told me i need to get whole new plow and new wiring, priced it out for me $8k installed.

That is a bit too steep for me to spend when i have a perfectly good working plow that i use maybe 10 times/ year.

I read there is a "adapter" that i can get and install a new mount on the truck and old plow will attach just fine. but then i'm curious about wiring now.

what do i get and where. any suggestions?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can get a unimount adapter but will have to change the entire wire harness including new light assemblies. Your new truck would have a computer driven hissy fit if you tried the old wiring.

A new plow is your best option

3. EnesG

EnesG Junior Member
    from MN

The new truck is a 2012 crew cab 2500 cummins, short bed.
    and the old wiring was a 2 plug if that makes a difference. 1 plug for power and the other for the controls.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No Unimount wiring system is compatible with that truck.

5. EnesG

EnesG Junior Member
    from MN

well such is my luck :(

6. EnesG

EnesG Junior Member
    from MN

it is same truck as 2011 i know sometimes vendors don't have updated details.. worth a shot ?

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

Ok - first of all yes, there is no Western plow that should be $8000 installed! the highest priced one is the Wideout, which we sell for $6600 approx installed.

Secondly, yes you CAN put a unimount plow on the new Chevy's. Like basher said, it will involve quite a bit of stuff. It would take the new utlramount mount, Ultramount to unimount adapter, isolation module wiring for the truck, and new lights and the other harness that goes to the coils on the power unit (to convert the plow to iso mod wiring w/ 3 plugs). I usually also figure the light brackets in case your plow has the real tall ones (because harness on the new lights will be too short). It all adds up to about $2000 with labor or $1600 for just the parts.
    Like I said it's quite a bit of stuff, but that's up to you whether it's worth it or not. some people would rather spend that $2000 to transfer instead of $5000 or so for a new plow. especially if the unimount is still in great shape. other people would prefer to spend the extra and have a new plow with 2 year warranty and easier hook up, new features, etc.

8. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

You could sell the unimount and find a newer used ultra mount and have a better mounting system as well as a newer plow. Ive been seeing good used uni mounts for sale for $1800 around here i would guess they sell for arou d $1400. Probably pick up a used ultra mount for 2400 in really good shape and add another 1500 for mounts or so.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Unimounts are good plows, DD and the aftermarket are doing a good job of supporting them BUT they are ALL headed for twenty years of age. They are going to be less and less compatible with current generation trucks in a lot of ways.

If you take the $2K to get it installed, add the $1400/1800 you can get for it used you are well on your way to a used Ultramount.

Spend 5K on a new straight blade and you get all new components, a warranty and (if they are any good) a dealer who has a vested interest in your satisfaction with the product and its performance.

10. EnesG

EnesG Junior Member
    from MN

So i'm partial to western maybe because i've had such a good luck with the current plow..

i just saw that the hydraulics on it are Bosch today, didn't even realize it .. anyways..

It is a 8 foot plow with still original blade and in pretty good shape.. some rust on the frame but nothing major.. the poly part is spotless.
    And i have full truck side wiring with isolation modules or whatever, and a joystic controller, and truck side frame mount. but i'm missing some of the bolts that go into the frame.

I had the full service done on the ram last year, seals and standard stuff. Works perfectly.

What would you suggest $ i ask for it?

11. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I have installed Unimounts on late model trucks a few times. Yes you have to rewire the relays and cut in to the factory headlight harness so that when the plow is attached the truck lights go out and then make sure the power for the plows lights is routed from the battery and not powered off the headlights. If you, or if you know someone, that is good with electrical and you have a diagram you can make it work. Took about 30 mins studying the diagram and about an hour rewiring. Now they were not 2012 models but a couple of 2010s Chevrolet's and an 2009 Ford superduty. Just my input.

12. redneckdiesel

redneckdiesel Junior Member

I have this same exact scenario. I have a 8'6" Unimount that is in excellent condition from a 1998 Dodge and would like to put it on a 2011 Dodge 2500. I don't plow commercially and just need a plow to use on my business lot during the daytime only. I don't care if the plow headlights work or not since I won't be using it at night. Can I just get the ultramount, unimount conversion, and then wire my old vehicle side harness up? I will just forget about the entire headlight wiring assembly if that is what it takes. I just hate to drop the $$ for a new plow to do one small parking lot.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Wiring doesn't have to be a nightmare. For what you need the plow for, screw spending big bux or getting complicated. Ultras are junk IMO anyway. The plow control harness is a breeze, power and ground, whoopdy doo. The headlight harness CAN be complicated. To uncomplicate things, wire the lights to a switch and a single relay and turn off your auto headlights. You can still tap your signals and markers so they all work. When running the plow, run your marker/park lights only and turn on the switch for the plow lights. Problem solved.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ultra mounts and a conversion kit new should still put you new at under $700 if you do it all yourself.

15. redneckdiesel

redneckdiesel Junior Member

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I think I am going to give it a try. I will upload pics if it works... I may even forget about the ultramount and conversion and just retrofit my old unimount to work on the new truck. I guess anything is possible with a little fabrication.

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Your mount will be close. Its doable with decent fab skills.

17. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I agree with h2o - the wiring is really, really simple on Unimounts. I've made harnesses made for one truck work on a bunch of different trucks. Like he said, the control harness needs power and ground, wire the lights to a switch and tap into the turn signals if you're so inclined. You don't have to touch the truck's wiring at all if you aren't concerned about the turn signals.

18. Nestech

Nestech Senior Member

unimount on new truck

This has been pretty much addressed in previous posts, One other thing you can do is use an Arctic Light harness, It uses a switch to turn off the truck lights and turn on the plow lights, not to hard to wire into the Western Harness. Also if you are splicing into the Truck turn signals make sure you use relays, the new trucks are not designed to run the extra lights on the original circuit.
    Mark @ Nes-Tech