1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount plow lights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by JDWalkbehind, Oct 22, 2007.

1. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

well with my new to me truck this year i got a 1996 F250 4x4 reg. cab long bed with a 460motor and a decent plow little rust on the front of the blade but other than that in good shape. we got it from my dad's good friend who is a car nut and keeps everything clean and working, he had to get a new truck for the family (mine his old one is reg.. cab) said that low beams on the plow didn't work.but the high beams will. thought no big deal. but this past saturday me and dad went through the releys and all the wires going to and from them and all of them were working fine printed out a electrical diagram and we just couldn't figure it out. the truck is a 96 and the plow is close to it but now sure right now. any advice or things to look for would help. Thank you very much.

Nick

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check to see if you had power anywhere you should with the lows on with a test light? Do the marker lights work on the plow? Does the low beam relay click when you turn on the truck marker lights?

3. JDWalkbehind

i had power and the marker lights work, i don't know if the reley clicks or not i'll have to try check that. but we went through everything with a fluke, and every thing was fine. have to look some more. anyother advice is welcome. thanks B&B

nick

4. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

Real stupid question, but did you check to make sure the low beams work on the BULBS? I know its a stupid question, but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. I just tonight tore the electrical apart in my garage b/c the lights/ radio/ garage door openers wouldn't work, the breaker wasn't tripped, etc.... come to find out the contact on the back of the breaker, in the breaker box, was corroded. Whooda thunk it?!?:cry: :dizzy:

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, you had power to the relay but did you have it out of the relay (black wire)? That's your low beam wire going to the grill plug for the plow lights. It should have 12V with the plow connected and the headlight switch on.

6. JDWalkbehind

B&B i'll have to check i went out and the reley's don't click when the light's come on. your right it's the black wire i printed out the wire diagram when we started working on it. it worked fine. but i'll have to double check, maybe trace the wire make sure nothing's wrong. thanks for the help if you come up with anything else let me know. i'll work on it again soon and tell you what i find thanks again.

6feetdeep- you know what i haven't checked the bulbs i guess i thought because they both didn't work it was something in the electrical. have to check it out. boy will i feel dumb if that's it. thanks for the advice have to give it a look.

thanks again. anything else?

nick