1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount packing nut broke off

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ithaca1230, Jan 11, 2016.

1. ithaca1230

ithaca1230 Junior Member
    from 14850

Farly new to this site so thanks for any advice. Was given a old plow that I resurrected. Started using it after changing oil and filter. It started leaking pretty bad from lift ram so I purchased a seal kit and new packing nut and shaft. Worked on loosening the packing ut for a week or so and it just broke off. Any advise on how to remove it now? the 6 point part is totally broke off. There is about 1/8 - 1/4 inch above the thread still there. Not sure if we can weld something on or not. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

2. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

I would drill down the center of it and use a easy out to tap it out. re-thread without going bigger and install the new bolt.

3. ithaca1230

ithaca1230 Junior Member
    from 14850

Ram is in the middle of the packing nut. I was wondering f anybody had tried to weld the nut and ram and tried to remove it like that.

4. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

How do you drill the center of the packing nut? It's a nut.

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

Does that mean it's hollow in the center, like a donut ?

:D

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

To the OP.

I would look for a second pump in your area so that you can go back to work. This way, you can putz around with it on your work bench while you are in down time.

Guy not far from you has one, but not sure if your pump is conventional cable or isarmatic electric. Either way, a spare pump on hand is worth it's weight in gold. anytime I find one, cheap, I grab onto it.

https://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/5394981246.html

99% sure that nut is cast and can't be welded to. You can, however save the housing by this method.

Take a grinder / sawzall and cut the ram off just above the nut (much harder than you think, and I would utilize a cut off / disc grinder saw)

Once you have the ram shortened, you can push it down the barrel, allowing you to access the packing nut.

I would either try heating the housing (gently) and grabbing onto it and attempt to spin it out, or take my mini grinder and cut relief's in the nut, so that you can split the nut inwards towards the hole in the middle. Once two reliefs are cut 180* off of one another, it should split rather easy and fall in the center. Now you have a good housing, and the nut is garbage.

Order a new nut, seal, and ram, and you've saved the housing.

Good luck...

BTW, Neverseize the threads on the new packing nut.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Clearly this is not that case.

To the OP. You got any pics. Is this set up like a SEHP pump. If you weld to it you will smoke the packings. However what does it matter right now anyway. Might want to weld some sort of long tube or rod to give you leverage and replace the nut and packing set up. If it is a seperate cylinder then just get a new cylinder.

8. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

The nuts I've seen are cast, and I don't know if you can weld cast metal.

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

The nuts are cast steel and can be welded to.

10. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Well, that's helpful to know if I ever run across that situation.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a tool I made just for removing nuts. The pipe in the pic is used for leverage. Albeit the tool still does flex.

[​IMG]

12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure on how much material you have left, but you could try to use a punch and hammer to back off the rest after a little heat. Remember the housing is aluminum tho

13. ithaca1230

ithaca1230 Junior Member
    from 14850

Thanks for all the advice. Welded the remainder of the packing nut to the ram. put a spud wrench in the ram hole and tapped it with a hammer. It came loose. Took about an hour to get it back together with new ram seals and packing nut. The heat from the welding must have got it to loosen up. A buddy of mine also gave me a old plow he had same era so I can have spare parts. Thanks again!! Was thinking I should change the oil again after the heat from the welding.

14. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

If you were that far into it, you should have removed the unit and wire brushed the threaded area for the packing nut. Then wash out the housing. Probably the base lug is worn also. Did you replace the lift ram?

15. ithaca1230

ithaca1230 Junior Member
    from 14850

I did clean the threads and the inside of the housing as best I could. Yes new lift ram packing nut and seals.

16. johnhenry1933

Randall asked if you replaced the ram.

17. ithaca1230

ithaca1230 Junior Member
    from 14850

Yes new ram, seals and packing nut. The old one was welded to the old broken packing nut.

18. johnhenry1933

Sounds like your good to go. I have three Uni's, all 5 and 4 springs. It is good to have a few spare parts about. I rebuilt one valve body but got a plug in an orifice that I just could not get out. Bought a complete new valve body, and replaced the pump, motor and hoses all in the last two years. So one of my Uni';s is effectively new.

19. ithaca1230

ithaca1230 Junior Member
    from 14850

Now that I have a spare complete plow I'm gonna take it apart like this one and rebuild it so I can have a spare on hand.