1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount only angles to the Left

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DJC, Dec 29, 2010.

1. DJC

DJC Senior Member

My unimount will only angle to the left and I have tested all three coils and tested the valves. I replaced the Poppit valve with a new one and it still does the same thing.

I then took the passanger side house off from the piston and running the motor I didn't get any fluid at all come out. Took the pump off and put it in a container of fluid and hooked it up to my 18V Dewalt. I got some fluid to come out but it would shoot about 1/2 to 1 inch. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The plow does not raise, go right or doesn't go down..

You use you drill to check the pump???

What kind of plow is this?

You might have a problem with the controller....Check the plug on the controller to make sure there making good contact when plug together..Also check the connector ( grill ) for the same thing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I don't know if it will go down because I can't get the plow up. I took the pump out to look at it and I just wanted to check it and make sure the shaft was ok inside.. I didn't have a pressure gage at the time. It's a 7.5 unimount
    Controller is fine because I hooked up a different truck to it and still not working.

4. twinman326

You did check the connector plug in front of the grill to make sure there are no pins broken, clean and grease, tight snug when they are plug together?

You also check the wires on the solenoid to make sure the are clean and making good contact?

When you had the pump off, you did remove the suction screen to make sure it was clean?

You did check the color of the fluid to make sure it was not burnt or no moisture inside the pump housing?

"Controller is fine because I hooked up a different truck to it and still not working." (your statement)

what does you mean by your statement?

5. wls

wls Senior Member

I brought my truck to his place, hooked up to my western wired dodge, when I moved the joystick, to raise, left/right the motor would just spin.

6. wls

wls Senior Member

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

when you had the pump out did you check to see if the oring on the bottom was there? if so is the oring good?

8. twinman326

I would say the motor does spin faster then the drill..If you want to check the pressure on the pump, here is a test
    prestest.jpg

On the other hand, you might have a bad O-ring that sit on the bottom of the pump.

prestest.jpg

9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Thanks!! I will take the pump back off again tomorrow and look at the oring.

10. twinman326

Wls, how was the fluid level before the pump was taken out??

Ok who plow is this Wls, or DJc?

11. wls

wls Senior Member

Fluid was full, its DJC's plow, he's my son-in-law

12. twinman326

Before you took the pump out?

13. wls

wls Senior Member

yes it was

14. twinman326

Let start from the beginning. The plow would only go to the left, and no other functions, correct? Then you replace the poppet valve, tested the S valves and coil, and nothing sill didn't work, correct?

You made a statement about taking off the passenger side housing off from the piston. what do you mean by that? Are you talking about the cover for the S valves? And coming out from were?

Tested the S valves and coil, how?

Then your father in-law, hook your plow up to his truck with the same wiring harness, and stick, and when he move the stick , only the motor would spin and no plow function, correct?

So now from my understanding from both quotes, the plow did turn left, change the poppet valve. Hook the plow to another truck with the same wiring setup, move the joy stick, and "only" the pump motor work and no other functions. This is correct or did I read something wrong??

Here how this works when you move the joy stick to a function it send electrical current to the S valves. Each S valve has a function
    S1= lower
    S2= right angle ;poppet valve; inlet valve
    S2 N S3=left angle; poppet valve; inlet valve
    S3=Raise; inlet check valve; internal check in solenoid cartridge valve s1 then into the lift cylinder.

Now if we assume you had left angle, then you change the poppet valve, and now have nothing, go back to the poppet valve and recheck it was install correctly.

When you had left angle, you might of had a problem with the S2 valve.

What I would of done first was the basic
    A) check the connector plugs (grill). Making sure both plugs were clean, grease and fit snug when plug back together.
    B) Clean the wires to the solenoid and make sure they had good contact. Then I would of check the black/orange wire attach to the small stud on the solenoid that grounds the plow lights and the S valves. I also would of check the brn/red wire that comes from the controller, through the fire wall (I check the wire at the fire wall to make sure none of them are cut) and connect to the solenoid to make sure it was good.
    D) I would of check the controller plug to make sure the pins are making good contact. I even would of spread the pins out very little to make sure when I plug the harness back together it has good contact.
    E), I would of taken off the cover for the S valve and use a test light and had someone move the stick at each function to see if I had power at each S valve

Now, when you took out the pump, did you put the "O" ring back on underneath the pump before you reinstall the pump back into the housing and tighten it down evenly?

when you change the "poppet valve", you did change both?

Here are pic of the S valves, poppet valve, and inlet valve

cly.jpg

just a valve.jpg

invalve.jpg

Here is a link to the mechanic's guide. download it and save it to your computer. This will help. It has a test procedures to pressure test the pump (pg 46), cartridge test (pg 56)
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/21936_121704.pdf

Electrical schematic guide
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

Please let me know if I understood the situation correctly

cly.jpg

invalve.jpg

just a valve.jpg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  15. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Everything you said is correct!!! I can't work on it again until monday but I'm going to try everything that you have said. I know that the solenoid good because I hvae replaced it with a new one and double checked it to make sure it was working correctly.

16. twinman326

The links are posted the for your use and download..

Let us know how your making out.....

Keep us posted

17. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Well, I took the pump off today and checked the seal on the bottom.Everything looked fine with that so I then checked and cleaned the connections between plow and truck. I got chasing some wires on the plow side and came across a ground wire that was almost worn though. It was in really bad shape so I spliced in a new wire and hooked everything back up. Topped off fluid because I had some of the lines off and it started working just fine. I just hope its going to continue working !! I will let you know if I have anymore problems. Thanks very much for all the help!!
    Derrick

18. twinman326

Let me guess, the black/orange wire that grounds the S valves,lights, and ground to the plow frame.Yes that will do it

I am glad you found the wire and the plow is working.....

Be safe, and safe plowing.......

19. DJC

DJC Senior Member

That was the wire!!!! Thanks again twinman for all the help