1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount on 98 chevy plow lights not working??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wfopete_98, Dec 2, 2009.

1. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

Alright have a got a good one....98 chevy 1/2 ton with a unimount on it. I bought a light adapter wiring harness #61716 and hooked it up to my relays, upon doing that I tried it and only had high beams on the plow lights and no lights on my truck. So I thought I possibly had a bad relay (low beam relay) so I tried changing one out with a different relay that supposedly was good. So switched the one side with the yellow and orange wires and still the same result high beams only on plow lights. So i tried the other relay with the red/green wires and I did that and now I have only low beams on plow lights and no highs!!! :confused: So something is a miss because I then tried switching both sets of wires opposite of what it was to see what i got and still the same low beams on plow lights and no high beams I cannot figure out why I had high beams the first time around and then after some juggling around I only have low beams now and the wiring is the same, just on the opposite relay I wrote down how the wires were before I started and that is how they are so do I have something else wrong elsewere maybe a broken wire somewere or what???

Thanks

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You have to relays. One for low beam and one for high beam.
    If that is correct here is a diagram

View attachment headlight relay 09.bmp

Hopefully this will help. Just make sure the wires are correct to both relays. Also you might want to check for a ground problem, or broken wires. Also check the prongs at the connection (vehicle to truck harness). Might have to clean them. Make sure there is no foreign material were the two harness connect. If so use a good cleaner and blow them out. ( I use battery cleaner) After you clean the terminals make sure you use electrical grease before you re-connect them. Matter of fact use that when you connect the wires to the relays. Just put some on the relays tabs and slip the wires on.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  3. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

I have the diagram for the relays and how they are layed out and it is just as you sent me, so I have it wired just like that right now but also i forgot to mention there is two other relays in the plow harness are those maybe screwing up the deal or not??? I haven't messed with them at all not sure what they are for considering all the diagrams i have looked at only have two!

4. twinman326

You have a "plow high beam relay" and a "plow low beam relay" plus a "low beam and high bean relay"??
    look like this (these are the plow relays)

View attachment plow headlight relay 09.bmp

I believe this is what your looking for.

Also here is a link for the wiring
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/22373.07_110108_for_Web.pdf

Check page # 63

If the wiring is correct, check the terminals to make sure they are good. Clean them if you have to. You might have a bad relay, ground problem, or a broken wire. Look around and check the wires real good. Wiggle them and see what happens.

5. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

that schematic page doesn't exactly match what I have, what i do have is the two separate head lights up front for highs and lows which i think are the hb3 and hb4 headlights which would be page 59 with DRLS,

the only thing i can figure is this harness came of a 99 chevy and they must have had to run 4 relays on that particular truck so maybe I should try to unplug the other relays and see what happens?? Could that work? or what?

I have it exactly wired like the diagram with the two relays so the figuring out continues.....

I will try to unplug all the relays and plug them back in check wires and plug ins on the plow and clean things up and try to plug it all back in again and if not I will pull the other relays and try that!

Thanks for the help

6. twinman326

Your saying you have "DRL" (day time running lights) which sit on prongs #86 both relays and it is a pink wire?

The brown wire "DO NOT USE". The pink wire takes the place of the brown wire.

The more information ,the better

What kind of plow is this. Is it a "pro" or a "mvp"?? Is it a use plow or new? If use, what truck did it come off of? What is the your truck, 1998 chevy 1500 4x4 with or with out (DRL) day time running light? Hb3 head lights? Is the harness a 9pin or a 12 pin? All this info can be helpful..

Here in the info for your truck (at least it suppose to be)

http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/63695_103103.pdf

let me know what happen

If you have pictures of the plow and wiring, post if you can

The problem also can be you brought the wrong wiring harness for the year of your truck??

Look on pg#2
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/63696_020604.pdf

When I did a search on western using the harness # 61716 you brought, it came up with this
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/62913_012098.pdf

Those two other relays are call " curb side low beam and curb side high beam.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hope the '99 wasn't a Silverado body style. If so, thats why they don't (and won't) work. '99-02 uses a positive common headlight system. Your '98 does not.

8. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

Just put a unimount pro-plow on my '98 tahoe.....harness kit was 61716 and should be the same for your truck. These instructions were helpful for the wiring:

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13681_103103.pdf

See page 11 (HB3/HB4 with DRLs) as well as pages 8 & 9.

You should only need two relays....one for hi-beam and one for low. The 61716 connected to a 9-pin harness for mine.

9. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

Alright the plow was used and the guy told me it came off of a 99 chevy pickup, it is a 7'-6" Pro Plow and it has the 9 pin hookup, My truck is a 1998 1500 4x4 chevy with daytime running lights I also do not see a pink wire in the harness at all do i need that to make plow lights work with highs and lows or what I don't care if i get daytime running lights on my truck at all!

I will check them pdf files and see what it looks like and go from there.!

thanks

10. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

well it almost looks like i need the 61515 harness instead of the 61716 but it kills me i don't have a pink wire anywere??? I will take a pic in the morning and get it on here of what the relays all look like!

thanks

11. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

so am I not going to make it work then or what cause I am sure the guy told me the wire harness was for a 99 chevy pickup but whats funny is it was mounted on a ford pickup and he told me he never hooked up the plow lights because he didn't need them he only plowed his carwash and that was it so that could be a little bit of a problem also but I do have low beams now just no high beams so I will keep lookin I got some new info from you guys today so I will take some pics and do some figurin!!

thanks

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

61716 is the headlight adapter harness thats in a 61515 wiring KIT. If you don't need a control harness too then you do not need a 61515 KIT. You need a 61716 only.

Did you check for a tag on the current headlight harness? Would have been one with the p/n of the adapter harness on it. If it's still there see what the p/n is. Pic isn't all that much help. P/n's are far better. Until you know what you have there's no way to assist other than buying the known correct harness.

13. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

I just looked at the tag and it has all of these numbers in this order

Rev #1
    01/99

like i said before it has 4 relays on the harness and I do not have the pink wire anywere?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  14. twinman326

wfopete 98

Good morning.

I call up my dealer who deals with western. Told him what you have and what kind of vehicle with DRL. So I have good news and bad news. Bad news, you have the wrong harness in your vehicle. U should have a "two relay", not 4 relays. That the bad news. The good news is, your right, part # 61515 is the harness you need. What I was told that is the complete harness with "2 relays". That it, just two relays. I was told the part # 61515 (light harness) is for the year 1994-1998 (chevy in your case) the cost (I was told) $189.95. You might be able to get it cheaper. (Not sure if your going to need the DRL kit part # 61584)??

Here is the "Mechanic Guide Unimount mount system snow plow" pdf file. This is for your vehicle, so download it and keep it somewhere safe. This pdf will help you out.

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/21936_120198.pdf

I download it and use it many times for trouble shooting electrical, hydraulic and so on.

This pdf is also for your vehicle (that what I was told) "Vehicle installation instructions, and part list" download it as well..

http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/13681_103103.pdf

Well buddy, sorry for the bad news. I have a chevy K2500, and I couldn't stop wondering why you and I had different types harness.. The search for # 26009 comes up for a "Dodge Ram truck".

If we can help, give us a shout. Good luck

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  15. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

ALright well thanks for all the help!

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well apparently the dealer wants to sell the entire wiring kit or he isn't too smart with checking his numbers.

Like I already said in my posts above :rolleyes:, if you don't need ALL the truck side wiring DO NOT waste your money on a 61515. All you require is the 61716 light adapter harness...which is only $50.

17. SkiJohnnyB

SkiJohnnyB Member

Look at the wiring diagrams in the link I sent you and your harnesses. I believe you'll find that the DRL wire is just another wire to energize the coil in the relays for the lights. I think you can simply add a single, discrete wire and crimp on the necessary spade connectors instead of buying a new harness.....that's what I did.

18. wfopete_98

wfopete_98 Junior Member
    from iowa

I have the 61716 light adapter harness and now that I got the info from all of you should be no problem jumping in a wire to match the layout of the pink wire

Hopefully that should fix the problem of not having high beams on the plow lights

thanks again

19. twinman326

was there a "DRL" kit install on your vehicle?

Just wondering because the DRL kit shows a pink wire with a fuse holder attach and you made a statement you didn't have a pink wire.

Why does the harness have "4" relays instead of two relays?

Just making a statement and asking questions. Think as a learning course for me.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Also, if you do not wish to have DRL function on the plow lights you don't HAVE to use it. Just wire it like a non DRL application.