1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount on 2005 Ford - couple electrical problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by eric_mc, Oct 19, 2009.

1. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Just installed an old 2plug harness. Got it mostly working, but with following problems:

1) Headlights on plow - do not work. Truck side work fine. Going to replace the relays and try it again.....

2) Dimming when raising/angling plow - my dash lights dim when I tested the plow. Could this be related to the relays? Maybe a bad ground? I did not ground directly to my battery (ran out of length) - but to another factory installed ground that was on the frame.....going to try and lengthen my ground wire and connect to the battery, see if that helps. Maybe the battery is bad? Seems to crank the truck fine.....

Thanks!

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like ground issue on the dim lights.
    on the relays, check the brown wire 4 power. check black/orange for ground.

3. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

thanks no lead.

4. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

replaced the relay's - and all the lights worked.....for about 5 minutes....then the low beams on the plow and the truck went out. Blew the driver side low beam fuse.....it is a 10 amp. I assume (didnt have any fuses to try) that if I put another fuse in...it will work again for about 5 minutes.

Can I just try a large fuse? Or is this a symptom of a larger problem that I can't ignore? High beams on truck and plow work ok. I did notice that the truck lights did not turn off automatically when harness plugged in...they were all (plow and truck) on when I plugged in the harness....

Maybe I have the relay's wrong -but I copied the old ones - who knows if those were right. I have not been able to figure out how to check to make sure the relay "pattern" is correct... :/

5. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

update:
    checked relay wiring - no problem.
    connected up the plow - truck and plow lights were on at same time = blown fuse again.
    relays are wired correctly....not sure what the problem is.

going to try different relays I guess....these are new, but from NAPA. Going to order the Western ones...and if that fails...will be ordering a new harness i guess....very frustrating.

6. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

King Ranch 150

Hey - New to this site but seems very informative. Eric Mc, I noticed you were having trouble with your plow and King Ranch fabrication. If you need help I happen to have a KR150 with a real nice Fisher LD setup and you could look at that truck for answers. Took me about 4 hous to install the thing and it has worked fine since. Actually we live in the same town! Let me know if I can help, seems you are still learning your way around tools and such; a project like this can be daunting for a beginner! Post some pics. when you are done too. After that many posts and questions, we'd all like to see it.:whistling

7. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

hey jdm - thanks for the offer to help - wow, small world. I may have seen you driving around in that truck - is that dented up one with the white "24" sticker on the rear window? I have since solved the problem - it was a grounding issue as someone else pointed out, so problem solved a couple posts ago. again, thanks for the offer to help - in fact, if you need a hand popping out some of those dents lemme know - I have a tool for that.

8. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

Nope not me with the dents and as far as 24 goes I wouldn't be caught dead! Yeah those gounding problems manifest themselves in funny ways sometimes. You did know that those + and - signs on top of the battery mean more than just addition and subtraction right? When grounding you want to hit the "-" sign. I have a bunch of 3x5 index cards with all kinds of good tips for guys new to this mechanical stuff. I'd be glad to send them to you. I really have no use for them. Anyway, why did you not choose to go Fisher anyway? I never see Westerns around these parts. Just a question, good luck! As far as the dent puller goes, why did you buy one? Trees jumping out at you? Hahahahahah!

9. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

Sure! I will give them to my 4 year old - that is, if you are done with them.

Well - as most people on this site know - Fisher and Western are essentially the same plow with different paint. You didn't know that? You must be new here or something.

Actually, I got it for my brother - besides hitting stuff with his trucks....he likes to burn through transmissions by not coming to a complete stop when shifting....he wrecked a brand new tranny in 1 short season of plowing, so I like to help him fix his stuff up whenever possible. :dizzy:

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

eric, did you get those lights working yet?

11. eric_mc

eric_mc Member

I did thanks

12. JDMJR

JDMJR Junior Member

Sure - That's whats they all say, "I have a friend; it was my brother's truck; all hypoithetical. I know it is embarrassing for you if you have to ask but that's what we are here for. Did the tranmission work get covered under warranty? I hope for your sake it did. Remember, the dumbest question is the one not asked! Actually Fisher only recently bought Western. That vintage plow you have was pre-Fisher and yes everyone knows that and now you do as well! Fisher is actually owned by a company Douglas Dynamics, LLC. They also own Blizzard plows. Sorry to school you on this but I had to learn the hard way. I figured I make it easier for you newbies.