1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount not lifting all the way

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by finh2o, Jan 14, 2016.

1. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

Hey fellas. I have a unimount that I replaced the motor on, cleaned the pump, replaced the o-ring on the pump, replaced the gasket and filter, cleaned the 3way and 4way coils. The issue is Im not getting full extension when I go to lift up. Any ideas?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How are you gauging the extension?

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Shorten the chain.

4. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

When the chain is disconnected the lift ram flys right up. With the chain attached the ram will only lift just shy of half way. The chain is adjusted to the correct height based when the plow is down. I did find the 2 way is not operating properly

5. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

Im guaging the extension by the full travel of the lift ram with no load. I loosened up the quill and nothing changed.

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The quill controls the downward speed of the plow in float, not the upwards height.

Fluid level ?

Pump O rings replaced with new ? Torqued the pump housing to spec ? Condition of the ram seals ?

Pump pressure is what ? Did you check the PSI on the pump once it was installed ? I've purchased Brand new Western pumps, put them in , and their pressure settings were low by 400 psi.

7. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

All new o-rings. Housing torqued to spec. The ram seals could be a little shot. I have some pitting on the ram, however I don't leak any fluid out of it when it operates.

I haven't checked the pump pressure. I guess thats my next move.

8. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

What Dog said:

I would first ascertain there are no leaks, and that fluid is up to level. Then check pressure.

9. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

10. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

On top of the hyd. Pump. There is a hex cap. Turn it in 1/4 turn. Is the lift frame sitting straight up? Did you do a pressure test? Doe's the motor sound like it is laboring? Raise the plow, bold it trying to raise for a few seconds, then see if any of the main cables are getting warm, from battery to relay to motor.

12. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

How high is the ram raising with the plow attached?

If you are certain of all of the above (screen, fluid level cartridges) I would check that the packing nut on the ram is not too tight (loosen to where oil just leaks under pressure and tighten 1/16) and the quill adjustment.

13. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

The lift ram is lifting just shy of half way. And the motor does sound a little labored trying to get it up. If I keep lifting it the plow lifts but absurdly slow. I dont want to kill the brand new motor

14. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Do you have access to someone who has a motor that is proven to work ?

I had a similar issue with my plow. Thought the motor was good, until I swapped with with another. It wasn't. The other (used) motor fixed the problem, and the motor in question was only a year old. Aftermarket, no doubt.

I'd try swapping motors and see what happens. Before I removed it, I would test the pressure first to get a baseline, as you will be able to adjust the pump pressure once that motor has been removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Pressure=Force and Volume = speed. What is the pressure you have now. With that pump you are never going to change the speed of it lifting without effectively using larger pump gears but that is not going to happen with your pump housing or any other one from western or fisher. So if you add more weight to your plow, lets say 400 lbs and try to lift it does it come up even less than you currently have. If so you have a low pressure issue.
    I just adjusted my modified Fenner set up after servicing it and putting a new main relief spring in it with a larger one rated for 4000 psi plus. When I checked the pressure I had 4500 psi, yikes. I would have blown the hoses off so I brought it back down to 2500 psi.