1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount no angle left?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by elite1msmith, Jan 7, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im a little stumped at this one. and i dont have another unimount to do a trial and error type thing. so not wanting to throw parts at it , i figured i bet some one here can help me out

this is a hydo issue,. the elcetrical is good, the coils are good.

It properly raises -
    it will stay raised and hold pressure

it will lower correctly - S1 is ok

it will angle right correctly-

with the pump turned on, and no valves...it will strain the motor and bog it down, as it should

when trying to move left, it will move slightly right (altho i suspect there was some air in the lines) and then it will bog down

removed the hoses to check it out, with motor on, no valves , fluid comes out of the drivers side left hose- which after looking at the hydo print, seems correct to me

with both the s3 and s2 activated, fluid is suppost to flow out the right hose(passenger) , but it does not- instead it contiunes to flow out the left (driver side)

so what do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you check to see if the S2 , s3 (left and raising) does the valves spool?

Have you check the poppet check valve?

Hose clog?

Might sound crazy, have you check the screen to see if it is dirty, or clog?

Here is some information

diagram for the S valves
    angleLeft.jpg

You can test the valves to make sure they are working
    Ecoiltests.jpg

Poppet valve
    popvalve.jpg

popvalve.jpg

Ecoiltests.jpg

angleLeft.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  4. elite1msmith

from chicago

yeah, im still not sure whats going on.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

B&B??? you got any insight ?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check for magnetizem on both the S2 and S3 while the left angle function is pressed?

7. twinman326

Once again, have you check both of them especially the S3 (4-way) ?

Check for a good magnetic pull?

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

im not using any truck side, im just taking a battery charger to appliy power

i assume its got magnetizem because you can hear each one click on and off, in addition they both work independently to provide the angle right and raise - i assume if the magntism was an issue it also wouldnt raise or angle right? but for kicks, ill give that a quick test just to be sure

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

see above statement- but im pretty sure the mag. is just fine. i hear them clicking. they work to provide the raise and right angle functions

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you're "hot wiring" then that would rule out any possible controller or wiring issues. About the only thing left is a poppet issue or a plugged port in the manifold.

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

correct i hot wired it. wors best for testing i think

if the poppet was bad, would it cause fluid to flow out of the drives side port instead of the passenger side?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure could. Could be a broken spring or stuck spool in a cross over valve too. If it were me I'd pull all the valves and poppet from the manifold and give it a through cleaning and inspection.

13. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

could this problem that he is having be causing my problem?(I have created a separate post but no responses) So sorry for hi-jacking your thread:jester:

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

will do - ill get back to you

i never ever had a poppet or cross over valve go bad. 12 years of being around this stuff, never had to do anything to them.

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

did your situation resolve itself?

16. Scenic Lawnscape

to be honest, i have not tried yet, but i am afraid it is my controller

17. elite1msmith

from chicago

yeah they are not cheap. as b&B said - i jsut hot wire my plows to test them, elminate the controller and wiring to that point.

i acctually had a central hydro pump go bad last year. i had a spare unimount siting around, so i ran extention cords threw the passenger side window to the plow...cut the ends off. one side spiced in a controller, on the other some females fittings straight to the coils nothing like a 2am breakdown and outdoor extention cords runnign threw your windows to do a repair

18. Scenic Lawnscape

How do i hot wire my plow without going to jail LOL

19. twinman326

Check the poppet valve.

If poppet is bad, oil could flow from the driver side ram through the 4-way valve

20. elite1msmith

from chicago

disconnect it from a truck. using a 12 volt source like a jumper pack, spare battery, or battery pack.

first ground the entire plow , easiest way to ground it , is to find the negative power cable that runs to the pump ground. clamp thenegative jumper cable on to it.

then using the positive cable. you can touch each one of the coils and hear them click and function. - Note- appling power to the white wire will cause the plow to fall if you are up in the air.

after that, run a wire from yoru power source positive to what ever coil you want to test. (aka the blue and green at the same time to test for left fuction.) while allping postive power with your jumper wire then take your jumper cable and touch the postive post on the pump motor, and see what happens.

you can reproduce any of the plows fuctions this way by following the chart of which coils to active to get a certain responce.

note the white wire is to lower the plow, and while testing it the pump motor doesnt need to run.

also, if your testing the raise and lower fuctions.remember that odds are if your plow came back broken, someone may have short chained it. fix that problem first. i accutally saw a dummy , trying to preform the raise andlower test. cyclinder was all the way down, and plow was all the way up against the bump stops. not too sure what he was thinking, but then again he didnt speak english:drinkup: