1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount MVP Wont go down

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by wpfd, Jan 21, 2011.

1. wpfd

wpfd Junior Member

Just as the title says. Started last snow storm. Plow is well maintained and annualy serviced. Last storm i went to drop plow blade and it wouldnt budge. Just heard pump whinning and then float light came on joystick but it was still in raised position. After disconnecting and reconecting, turning truck off and restarting it dropped. Then happened again soon later...
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I know on a straight blade you shouldn't hear the pump making any noise when you are trying to lower the blade, I would assume it would be the same on a vee. If you disconnected and reconeccted the plugs I would think you are losing contact in the plug.

One way to check it is next time it isn't working leave the controller in float. Make sure you are standing clear and get out and wiggle the plug, if the plow drops you know it is in the plugs. You can try pushing the pins a part t osee if that helps or you may have to get new replcaement ends.
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a corroded plug end. The motor should not run in the float position.

How do the terminals look on the plug ends?
  4. wpfd

wpfd Junior Member

They look goopy and brown. I am assuming from dirt and particulates getting in them, and the goopiness is due to the electrolux? I just had these plugs re wired with new lines and plugs on both truck and plow 2 years ago. Well i added some more fluid, it was a low. No problems still yet. Would low hydraulic fluid cause symptoms? I know it did go down once i played with wire... what a pain...
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Broken or loose wire in the connector.

My straight blade had an issue, it would go up and as soon as I let go of the button, would drop straight down.
    Turned out to be truckside wire harness. 1 wire pulled alomst all the way out of the pin. 2 wires had worn off sheathing.
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If your pump was spinning when you hit the down button you have a more complicated problem than loose or dirty connections. Never the less if they are brown and "goopy" then I suggest blowing them out with compressed air (wear glasses) then have a good look and verify that no pins are bent or green. Green is copper oxide. If the connections look good then put new dialectric grease on the generously and try it again. If it still does not work I would be trying a different controller. it sounds suspitous that the motor was spinning in down and that the control went into float when the plow didn't actually move. As for low fluid... That would cause problems going up or moving the wings but would never prevent the blade from dropping. When you hit down all that happens is that a valve (or valves) open allowing oil out of the lift ram back into the reservoir.