1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount MVP - Motor Won't Run

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieseldirt, Oct 31, 2013.

1. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

I recently picked up a used (2-plug) Unimount MVP, with used controller. I have never seen it work, but it "looks" to be in pretty good shape.

Just put in brand new truck side harnesses (66610 and 66623). Double-checked everything. Went over all connections, including making sure nobody has monkeyed with plowside harnesses.

When I work the controller, I hear the solenoid click but nothing else happens. Solenoid and power cables all get warm.

Tried hotwiring the motor with some big jumper cables. Hooked the battery straight to the motor and still nothing. Gets hot, and sparks a lot.........

So is my motor/pump junk, or what....? The plow has been sitting for a few years. I do trust the guys I bought it from (although they are pretty much strangers) and they said it worked fine when they parked it.

My truckside solenoid is "newer" ... I don't know about the plowside solenoid. Could it cause all this?

Any help much appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I would say its the motor. Remove it (pretty straight forward 2 bolts and the electrical cables) and see if you can even spin by hand. Then for grins hook the jumper cables back up and see if its really bad. No spin = bad replace

3. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

Thanks, I will pull the motor when it quits raining..

4. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

OK I pulled the motor and there's plenty of corrosion in there from sitting outside.. The shaft in the pump turns freely, but the motor shaft was stuck. I was able to get it turning on the bench, however when I put the jumper cables to it, still nothing.

So, I ordered a Western motor for $150. Hopefully I will be up and running here shortly...

5. dieselss

Good deal.

6. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

I was hoping you'd say that.

7. dieselss

Before you put the new motor back in. There's a few steps that you should take just for an extra measure

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Why do you have 2 solenoids?

9. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

Yep, I tried to delete that part. I have one solenoid like everybody else, I was just confused when I wrote that.

10. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

I'm listening!

:mechanic:

11. dieselss

the motor sits on top of the pump housing correct?
    before you put the motor on, tap out the bolt holes, 1/4 x 20 I believe
    inspect the copper bushing for massive wear and proper fit
    clean the pump as needed, wire cup brush
    then on the bolt holes, and the motor mating surface, use dielectric grease.
    the motor also has a few small holes that you can squirt a little grease into as well
    since there is no gasket or o-ring inbetween the motor and pump they tend to go at each other once they get wet and the dissimilar metal monsters start acting on each other.

12. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

Thanks, I appreciate the info!

One thing though, the motor and pump are side-by-side on this one. "Flostat hydraulics" or whatever.

13. dieselss

Ok wasn't sure. But it still applies aluminum pump body and steel canister. Add water and electricity and you get corrosion

14. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

I really appreciate the help. I will follow your instructions. Got my parts last night, I am putting a new relay in as well. The Western brand relay that I just received is round. Makes the one currently in my truck look funny, that one is more "I" shaped, not sure where it came from..

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  15. dieselss

The new solenoids are a little beefier which is nice. The I ones are the older ones

16. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

I am up and running, fully functional. Pretty nice feeling on an untested, used plow.

This is my first V-Plow, I am surprised there is no grease fittings for the pin that the 2 blades pivot on. No grease fittings at all, come to think of it.

I was wondering, what is the correct procedure for setting chain length? The ram should be all the way in when doing this, correct?

17. dieseldirt

dieseldirt Junior Member
    from vermont

Ok, good. I ended up leaving my old one in, and putting the new one in the glovebox.

18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

In answer to your chain setting. Yes your lift arm/cylinder should be all the way down. Once you do this there should be a little slack in the chain otherwise getting the link arms disconnected will be pain because they will still have tension on them.

19. dieselss

You want about 2-3 inches of chrome showing on the lift ram.