1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount MVP center rubber delete??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by firefighter1406, Oct 30, 2012.

1. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Anybody done anything to the stock edges to make it so you don't have to use the cheaper rubber center piece? I put a brand new set of edges last winter and the rubber is already burned through. Have a good 1 1/4" of cutting edges left but it is worn to the bolt holes on the plow and is ready to fall of. If anybody has any suggestions or ideas or pics please post them. I have thought about trying to weld some triangle pieces or something to the edges to cover the gap in the middle but haven't looked it all over yet.
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I know that there are several different cutting edge packages for the V plows. Not sure if you are stuck with the rubber centre or if you can switch out to the four piece metal. These have the two main cutting edges and then two smaller pieced in the centre with a bend on the centre edge that takes the place of the rubber. Also consider checking the A-frame adjustment. If your A-frame is not square to the ground when the plow is down then the centre and outside edges wear down really fast. Perhaps adjusting your A-frame would make your centre rubber last longer. To check that adjustmetn put your plow down on a slab of nice flat road or a concrete shop fllor is even better. Then put a little torpedo level on a flat part of the A-frame. If it is not level there are four bolts near the back of the A-frame that you can adjust to make it level. If it is out of wack you will notice a big gap either on the outside or the inside edge when the plow is down in scoop and / or V positon. Where the gap forms depends on if your A-frame is too high or too low. Don't confuse this adjustment with the four configuration options. All Western ultra-mounts have that but only the V plows have the four bolts for the find adjustment.
  3. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

I have a unimount V but I will still look at the level of the a frame. I think I am close but it is worth checking again. Thanks.
  4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yea, if you are worn through the bolt holes for the rubber there's not too much you can do about that. you can check to see if your pivot point at the hitch pins is low, but there might not be much you can do to help it.
    but generally I think you just can't wear them down as far as you think you can. Like if you also look at the brackets your springs attach to, you'll probably see that they're getting really close to the ground too.