1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount MVP 8.5 v plow no movement

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by pcurtice, Jan 18, 2016.

1. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

While plowing today my plow started acting erratic. Upon stacking and backing out the plow wouldn't raise. I assumed I was low on battery so let the truck sit at idle. Went ahead wiggled the connections at the grill, tried again to lift and nothing. Went into the house for a few minutes went back to the truck and the plow operated but had to park it to run some errands. About 6 plus hours later got back in to do some more plowing. Plow operated fine. Made a couple of pushes in catch position, no problem, and then it failed to lift when backing out again. No wing in/out activity also. Hand held appears to be in working order, took it apart and cleaned it anyway. Have power to it. Jumped from battery to motor, motor works. Right wing folded back only when I jumped it. So tomorrow I plan on getting a little deeper into things. I will go through all electrical connections that I can see from battery to solenoid to pump/motor. Is there anything else I should be taking a peek at at this time? A little history. Upon hooking up the plow a few weeks ago I had no activity also. I cleaned the hand held and it worked fine up until today. I do not have access to another hand held at this time. The right wing has been a little jerky on occasion in/out this season. The left wing has been pretty smooth but on occasion will retract on its own if I don't cycle it to full catch position. Haven't flushed the oil this season. Res is 3/4 full. It is due for a flush. I wonder about the filter? Oh, I wiggled the connections at the grill while my wife operated the hand held for lift, nothing, but she did say she heard clicking noises. Thanks for your time.

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Wing leaking back is a valve issue. Crossover relief valves need service for that wing.

Not going up but clicking sounds like a motor relay, a bad grill plug or a bad motor. Put a test light on the + motor lug and get your wife to try up and see if the test light comes on bright, dim or not at all. If light comes on bright your motor is getting power but not spinning up, new motor needed. If test light does not come on when motor relay clicks then no power is getting sent to the motor. Move your test light back to the motor relay under the hood. One (big lug) side will be hot always and the other (big lug) should only be hot when you hit up, left or right. If the switched side of the motor relay doesn't light up but you can ear it click then the relay is bad, replace it. If the relay works and lights up the switched output but you are not getting power to the motor then look at the motor cable and the grill plug, it's probably burnt or coroded somwhere.

3. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

Thanks for the advice. Will post results.

4. pcurtice

pcurtice Member
    from Yooper

Checked all connections first. Disconnected and inspected grill connections and reconnected. Threw the tests light on the pos post on the motor at which time my son hit the up button and the plow worked. Problem turned out to be bad connection at one of the grill plugs. Same one I played with yesterday in hopes of finding the concern. I sucked it together with an electrical zip tie and plowed for 3 hours with no issue. The plow is a little more faster in all movements also. Thanks for the advice on trouble shooting this problem.