1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount multi v, problem when cold

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by gseinc57, Dec 24, 2011.

1. gseinc57

gseinc57 Junior Member

Hey could some one give me a heads up as to what they think might be the problem with a multi v plow with flostat, if I leave the plow outside and the hyd unit uncovered and the ambient air temp reaches 10 or less the plow pump runs but does not go up or down or left or right, I can hear the solonoids clicking, or something is clicking, if I put a blanket over the entire hyd unit when I park it for the night then the next morning it works just fine, also if it is parked in the shop it will work fine, but when it gets cold and it is left outside uncovered its a no go, I just inherited this plow and noticed when i got it that there were no covers overthe solonoids on the unit, could they be taking on a tiny bit of water and freezing up in the cold temps ??? or is it possible that I have electrical problems with this model, any help would be appreciated,

Greg @ Cedar City KOA

2. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I would start by putting on a new filter and changing the fluid with western fluid. Sounds like a fluid problem to me.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The coils and valves are impervios to moisture as far as movement goes so ice there will have no effect. It sounds to me like you have moisture in your fluid and it is freezing making your fluid look like slush. When the water freezes it collects on the sump screen and the plow behaves like it is out of fluid. Remove the four bolts that hold the reservoir on and remove it when it is cold. This way you will see the ice. Blow out the sump and return screen with compressed air and then have a good look at the magnet for metal particals. If you find ice you would be well advised to emptry the rams too by opening the hose and cyclng them rams (by hand) a few times to push out the oil and then fill the system. When you refill you should check the level and then cycle all the rams three times to purge out any air that will be in there, especially the angle rams. After that you should be find. I suggest you use the proper blue aircraft grade hydraulic fluid, don't use ATF or straight hydraulic fluid. These oils are too thick when it gets real cold. They are designed to work in systems that warm up with use but electric over hydraulic systems like plows never get hot so the fluid never thins out. The blue oil stays thin over a very wide temperature range. Expensive but worth it. Also, change your fluid every fall just before the snow flys and make sure your vent / filler cap is working. They are not just vents, they have a 5psi pressure valve in them to prevent them from "breathing" and also prevent moisture from collecting in the reservoir. You should not be able to blow through it with your mouth. If you can it is not working,

4. gseinc57

gseinc57 Junior Member

Mishnick

Thank's, I changed the oil I was using in there last year, last year I used Meyer brand at 11.00 bucks a quart and the plow worked just fine, no problems all last winter, in Sept I drained and flushed the unit as well as the rams using good flush fluid, then drained again and refilled, so I do not think I have any water in there, I examined the fill cap really well, I thought, but will recheck it and try to blow thru it, I filled it with a hyd fluid that the local oil supply house sold me that they said they use in their 4 plows, its aircraft hyd oil, it has the same spec as the meyer brand but it also has a red dye and, I thought the red die indicated aircraft grade hyd oil ??? it does say aircraft hyd oil on the can with a miltary spec # ??, what is the differance between the red and blue dies ??? , I think I will drain and refill with Meyers and see if that will work,

Thanks Greg S

5. mishnick

The color is only the die. The viscosity is the critical thing. But if it has the same specs as the Myer fluid it should be fine.

6. gseinc57

gseinc57 Junior Member

gseinc57

Mishnick

It does have the same spec number with the air craft numeral's added onto the end of the number, any other possibilities ??

7. mishnick

Time to put a pressure guage one it and see what you are dealing with. With what you said we have eliminated fluid problems. Now we have to focus on pressure generation. Either the pump is not able to produce the pressure or the pressure is being blocked or something. It wouldn't hurt to pull your reservoir cover off and look at your sump screen. If the sump is cracked that might explain things as it would suck air. If this was my project I would want to see pressure first to decide which direction to look in.

8. gseinc57

gseinc57 Junior Member

Misnick
    Would you happen to know where I could obtain a exploded veiw of the hydralliac unit, or better yet a owners manual with exploded views of the entire unit and a trouble shooting section, or do I have to be a western dealer or something like that, ??? I do not know what the pressure is supposed to be ?? my Meyers has a minimum 1600 psi, in your first responce to me you stated I should pull the 4 bolts off and look into the bottom of the sump for frozen water, , so far that is the only thing that has added up as it works fine if I put it to bed with a blanket, but will not work if I just leave it outside exposed, or I can wait until the ambient air temp comes up a little and it then starts working, any help on where to find a owners manual or diagrams would be appreciated
    Greg S. Cedar City KOA

9. mishnick

Sorry for taking so long, have been without internet for a few days. Here is a link to the isarmatic mechanic's guide. I hope this is your plow. Straight blade right? http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/21936_121704.pdf
    This gives you everything you need to rip the whole thing down and put it back together correctly.