1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount moving slow, motor making noise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by coolgreen, Jan 20, 2009.

1. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

My Unimount started moving really slow the other day, and the motor almost sounds like it's spinning freely.

I also noticed when I short-chained it that I could move the raise-lower cylinder up and down by hand - like it wasn't connected to anything.

After moving the joystick around, it felt like something grabbed inside, and it started working perfectly.

I'm stumped on this one. My brother is a forklift mechanic, and without looking at it in person, feels it could be the bushing between the motor and the pump that is becoming stripped.

2. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

No ideas?

I've got to take this thing apart and get it working today. we're expecting more snow tommorrow.

Thanks.

3. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

It turned out to be a freeze-up. I emptied the fluid, sprayed out the pump with brake cleaner, then flushed it with hydraulic fluid, then put everything back together. Seems to be working fine now.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

did you drain the angle rams? if not do so.

5. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

You were right about draining the angling rams. It froze up again overnight, so I took it into the shop. My workshop is not warm enough to thaw everything out, so I had no choice. $200 later, everything is working again.

What a drag. I've never had a freeze-up before.

6. no lead

change the oil every season. BUT, wait until fall or just before the first threat of plowing. moisture will condense in the can/reservoir if it is still warm out.

7. coolgreen

coolgreen Member

I did have the fluid changed just before the snow fell. I'm never going back to the shop that did the work. I think they screwed something up.

I changed the fluid in my other plow myself this year, and no problems so far.

To be fair, it has been colder than usual this winter.

8. no lead

very common with-0 temps.