1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount moves/lifts slow. Heat appiled works just fine.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselboy01, Dec 8, 2013.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Hooked my unimount up today and it lifted and angled very slow. Fluid level was good. The plow worked fine last storm. I took a heat gun and warmed up the pump and everything worked just fine the rest of the day. This happened last year too, I changed the fluid and worked fine the rest of the season. I'm wondering why it works after I heat the pump up? Am I getting water in the fluid and its freezing? Is my pump or motor dying? Any help would be great. Thank you.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Contaminated fluid, water in fluid or wrong fluid. These are the most likely culprits. When was the pump filter last cleaned?
  3. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I had a unimount that did the same thing. It was fine after it warmed up in he garage. The packing nut and seals in the lift cylinder were bad, allowing water to mix with the fluid. Check the chrome on the lift ram if you change the seals because a pitted ram will tear the new seals. Also disconnect the hoses from the pump and work the plow back and forth by hand to push all the fluid out of the angling cylinder. If you only drain the pump reservoir, you'll leave contaminated fluid in the hoses and cylinders.
  4. dieselboy01

The fluid and filter were changed late last season. I run the S.A.M low temp blue fluid. The angle rams are pitted. I have new rams Ill be putting on tomorrow (later today) along with a new filter, and motor gasket. Ill drain all the fluid and hoses and go from there. Thanks for the advice!!
  5. dieselboy01

Every thing seems just fine with the plow now. I'm hoping the new rams fix the water problem.

Does anyone know if there is suppose to be a breather on a unimount? I don't see one anywhere.
  6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

All hydraulic systems need to have some kind of breather. Usually on the fill cap for the hydraulic reservoir. If the problem isn't cured, add a little gas line antifreeze to the hydraulic fluid to deal with the ice problem.
  7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

The isarmatic pumps do not have breathers.
  8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Unimounts do not have breathers. Completly sealed units. Same as the cable style.
  9. dieselboy01

Ok thanks. I'm assuming they don't need one then.