1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount mounting pins

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Sure Green, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Sure Green

Sure Green Junior Member

One of my Western Unimount plows has a problem with the main plow to frame mounting pins. No matter what kinds of hairpin cotter pin design i use, it constantly looses the hitch pins. Even resorted to tack welding the hitch pin in, while using the cotter pins. The truck will still loose the pins anywhere from an hour of plowing to 6 hours. Even with it welded, it will crack the weld and there goes the pin. The front end of the truck is nicely bashed up now. Anybody got any ideas on why it's doing this? We have 2 other western unimounts and once the pins go in on them, they don't budge.

2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I have never seen this one before.

My only thought is that maybe the holes on the truck side mount are egged out.
    I have seen this happen to the lift arm pivot pin on a bobcat skid steer.
    No matter how much you tighten the pivot pins they keep coming loose.
    The fix for the skid is to hone out the hole and replace the pin.

The pin wobbles in the hole and wants to walk out every time you stack a pile.
    Maybe you should remove the blade and take a look your truck side holes.
    Put the pin in there and see if it wobbles.

Good luck
    S

3. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

I know this is late, but hopefully it will help. I had the same problem when I switched my MVP plow from an 95 Chevy to an 03. Trashed a bumper on the first snow. The newer mounts do not let the cotter key fully spin. Western expected me to change and grease the hitch pin on each snow. They wouldn't pay for the damage and didn't really care. I fixed the issue by using a locking cotter key (like the one that keeps your kickstand up) They take an extra minute to install but I've had no problems for 5+ years.

good luck

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of pins are you using?

5. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

The newer style ones have 2 holes for pins. try putting one pin in from opposing sides. I find this helps keep them in a little longer. When I get out I check to make sure they are in. I also bend them over and the use a pry bar to pull them out when the plow needs to come off.

6. gib

gib Junior Member
    from omaha

here is a pic of the pins. To install them I have to start to flip the locking key before it is on the plow as there is not enough room between the end of the hitch pin and the bottom part of the light bar holder.

IMG_8153.jpg

IMG_8156.jpg