1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount mount question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by spence700, Nov 25, 2009.

1. spence700

spence700 Junior Member

I have 98 chevy 1500 that i am putting a unimount plow on. i found a guy thats got a mount for sale but he said that it was the older unimount mount. Is there a difference between the older one and the newer ones? Is there any advantage to either one? i will be instaling this myself also. When i talked to the guy, he said that i might have to oval out some holes, does that sound right or am i getting myself into something that would not be worth it? Any info would be great thanks

2. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

We had to modify our unimount when we took one off of a 92 GMC LD2500 (6-lug) to a 98 2500 (8 lug). We thought it would be a simple swap, but our mechanic had to do some cutting and welding for the mount to work. Dont know the exact difference between the two, but the electrical all worked and hooked up the same. Just the mount was different.

3. spence700

spence700 Junior Member

thats what im trying to avoid, i'd like to just be able to bolt it up, Do you remember or know of anything i should look for to try and find the right mount? I know thats probably a tough question

4. Junior MO

Junior MO Member

I would try to find one that is specific for your vehicle. If you have a 1500 try to find one that came off of a similar 1500 (year, drivetrain, etc.) to match. I think the reason ours did not work is that we were trying to take one off essentially a 1500 and bolt it onto a 2500 chassis. We did not want to buy another unimount for that truck and since our mechanic is good at fabrication, we just made ours work.
    I would also look on e-bay for that year of truck to find a mount. I haven't looked myself but I'm sure you could find one available for a 1500. You may also contact your local Western dealer to see if they have any used or new mounts for that vehicle.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

6. cruesix

cruesix Junior Member

i just installed one on my 97 1/2 ton it was the second version.it went in very easy,just notched the plastic air damm around it and slid it right in.i got some longer bolts so i could keep the tow hooks..total bracket install time was about 30 minutes. i didnt have to modify anything. this is the second time ive done this style bracket on a 1500 chevy and they both were simple..good luck and let it snow

if you are anywhere near me you are welcome to come look at mine so you know what it looks like

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  7. 33yearsinsnow

33yearsinsnow Senior Member
    from ohio

Did the guy tell you what truck the mount was off of?

8. spence700

spence700 Junior Member

yea i think he said it was off a 92 2500 chevy, and he did say that he had another one the same that he installed on 96 chevy tahoe that he had to do little modification to. He said oval out some mounting holes. but who really knows what he had to do, and is just trying to make a quick sale. But like i said, i really dont want to put a lot of work into it, especially with snow comin soon, i want to be ready rather than fabricating.

9. Crash935

You might have to ream the holes on the outside of the frame that the bumper bolts go through, pretty common. No fabrication involved just some drilling.

10. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

11. Crash935

33, read my first post, explained it and gave links to both mounts there.

12. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

Sorry Crash I did not see the web sites

13. Crash935

Thats alright, didnt mean to sound like a jerk.

And a comment from No Lead should follow.....

14. 33yearsinsnow

from ohio

No problem.