1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount Motor Problems!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jgrebloski, Feb 2, 2014.

1. jgrebloski

jgrebloski Junior Member

I just recently purchased a Western Unimount Plow for a 2005 Ford F250. Unknown history on the plow but it worked fine for the first two time. After a couple times the motor burned out. Got it was replaced just to fix the problem. Before we replaced the motor the plow worked completely fine raising/lowering/angling. After the motor was replaced, and you hit one of the controls, the motor would just spin and no movement in the plow in any direction. I removed the reservoir and just for the kicks I cleaned the filters and replaced all fluid to the top of the fill, still nothing. I removed it once again and took the suction filter off, as my son hit the raise control, the suction hole was blowing out n not sucking in. Could the motor possibly be spinning counter clockwise? From what I read the western motors run clockwise. This system is also a vertical mounted system and not horizontal. Can anyone help plz?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

U have the two motor cables reversed possibly. Switch the
    + and - at the motor then try again.
    This is perplexing... A permanent magnet motor will reverse when you change polarity because the field magnet stays the same while the armature field is reversed, but pump motors have both electric armature and field coils so both are reversed possibly negating the change. I can't remember now. But that is the first thing I would try if you are sure the pump is turning the wrong way.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  3. jgrebloski

jgrebloski Junior Member

Wouldn't switching the positive n neg ruin the motor ?

4. mishnick

No a motor is pretty robust. No electronics in there just wire and brushes.

5. jgrebloski

jgrebloski Junior Member

Alright, I'll give it a shot today. Thanks

6. jgrebloski

jgrebloski Junior Member

Motor + n - were not reversed. Called the shop that i bought the motor off of (good friend of mine) and ended up that one of his employees put a CCW motor in a CW box. Needless to say took the motor he gave us back up n tested it and it was CCW. Got the new one now n plow runs like a champ. Made some money today with the 7 inch storm n about to take on another tomorrow night of up to 10inches. Thank you for taking your time and helping me out!

7. mishnick

That explains your problem and answers my question too. The motor will run in same direction regardless of polarity (unless it has permanent magnets for field) so there is a CW and CCW!

8. jgrebloski

jgrebloski Junior Member

Me and the guy specifically talked about that. He stated that if your running a coil n brush motor (like I had) the polarity when switching the + and - will not do anything except just keep working haha but if your running a perm mount magnet motor switching the + and neg will switch the direction of rotation only if it's a perm magnet motor