1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount low beams

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Marlon, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

What a great site! I am installing a Unimount 2 plug 9 pin harness on my '02 Silverado.I have the proper type-F harness as pictured on pg 13 of the Unimount installation instructions. All of the pins in the headlight connectors are as depicted in the diagram. The used harness did not include the DRL heat sink.The red jumper with the diode to the DRL relay is spliced into the pink wire from the drivers side low beam headlight connector. I do not need the DRLs to work. After hooking all of this up,directionals and markers predictably work as they should,and the high beams also work properly(plow lights on when connected,truck lights on when unplugged) The only issue is truck low beams stay on when connected and plow low beams are off.In a pinch,I suppose this would get me through a storm, but it would be nice to fix it right. I have read other posts with similar issues, and wanted some advice before switching headlight pins willy nilly. Some of the contributors to this site have forgotten more than I'll ever hope to know about this 6 relay relic, and I would love your input...Thanks!!..Marlon

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

3. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

Yes that is the same diagram.I'll double check the connections at relay #4, and since I have a spare from another harness, swap it out if it's hooked up correctly. I believe I saw a troubleshooting flow chart in that same link you sent. I'll let you know how I made out..Thanks for the quick reply...Marlon

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure your using the proper relay. 5 pins not 4

5. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

I had another 5 pin relay/Same result,however oddly enough,the high beams don't switch over either to the plow now when cables are connected.Put back the original relay, and same thing,parking lights and directionals only. I gripped the relay bundle while someone attached and detached the 9 pin and there is plenty of clicking. While probing around relay#1 I was able to get the plow high beams to work, and while probing around #4,I could get the low beams to work.It was getting dark, so I'm not certain of which terminal I was touching. Just kind of eliminates the 9 pin harness as the problem.I'm curious as to whether the DRL module that is just hanging in the breeze not connected to anything,or the red wire with the diode on relay#6 that is spliced into the pink wire on the drivers side low beam headlight connector are issues. Sorry about the long winded post/Just trying to be thorough.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  6. dieselss

How many relays for you have?

7. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

There are 6

8. dieselss

Oh my one of those setups

9. mishnick

Consider upgrading to a three plug three port isolation module. It will cost a bit for all the wires but it will be reliable and easy to install. Same controller, new headlight harness, control harness, (truck side) and new headlight harness and valve control harness (plow side). Those six relay setups are a nightmare to troubleshoot.

10. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

13 year old truck + 20 year old plow = a switch on the dash to turn on the plow low beams. This isn't used commercially; just a few local driveways,and the plow will be removed when not in use. I'll fool around with it a bit more. Relays are in a tight spot;I'll move them into the open and focus on all of the connections.Thanks everyone for all of your great advice.

11. dieselss

Sounds about the best idea,,,,and cheapest

12. mishnick

If it has a switch in the dash for lights already then just make it simple with a double pole double throw switch to go from plow to truck. One pole for low, one for high. High and low both get switched. Whichever beam is on gets sent either to truck or plow. One switch, $10 and a bit of time & wire.

13. dieselss

He's going to add a switch, not fix the relays

14. Marlon

Marlon Junior Member

As we speak, I have solved the problem, and have the relay system, such as it is, working as designed. We all like to hear about the fixes, so here it goes: Great call on relay #4.The brown wire from the vehicle harness to 86/relay #4 was missing.Connection at 86/relay #3 was corroded, explaining why high beams worked initially, then crapped out affer I moved everything around swapping relay 4 yesterday. The tan jumpers that belong on 30/relay #6 were incorrectly attached to 86/relay #4. It's still a rats nest of a design, and I'll go the switch route if it acts up.Thanks to all for your help!!...Marlon
    I

15. mishnick

Relay #4 was the culpret! That's great to hear and a compliment to your perseverance & skill as well. Those six relay setups are very complicated and I struggle with them every time. Too many wires & connections. I have found when you replace the harnesses the new one is slightly different than the originals adding confusion. Anyway, cudos to you for your success.