1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

unimount lights/plow not dropping

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jrr102486, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

hello-

new to the forum but long time lurker. i appreciate the help this site has given me over the last winter here for random things.

ok now to what i need help with....

i have a 99 dodge ram 2500 v10 with an 8ft unimount pro 2 connection 9 pin, and am looking for something a bit brighter for headlights. i have read about the nighthawk and the custom plate that western offers to install these. i think western offers a wiring "splice" to convert these to work with relay and solenoid connection that is already on the truck.

i also have an issue sometimes, but not all the time, where my plow will be in full up position and will not drop. go outside the truck wiggle the 9 pin connection and the plow drops.

so would this be more of a plow or truck side issue for not releasing the pressure?

i figure if this could be more of a plow side and im already looking for brighter lights, and also that my ones that are on there are rusted and cant be moved, it might be worth my while to convert to the new lights and get a new plow side harness? or no?

josh

2. banonea

banonea PlowSite Fanatic

I hade the same problem,You need to replace the side that is corroded it could be either side, look at the connector. make sure to dielectric geese all the electrical connectors. As far as the nighthawks, yes they are great. and you can just splice them in ware the old lights were, nothing special needed

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

it could be either plowside or tkside harness thats going bad
    take a look at the plowside pins,,,,take a small screwdriver, and insert into the pins and pry apart
    as far as i know you dont need a new plowside harness just for the new lights

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

29033 is the adapter from your original harness to the nighthawk lights. 28340 is the bracket adapter to mount them on your unimount light brackets. 28800-1 is the set of nighthawk lights, which will include a 28213w harness that you won't need, so they might let you deduct something for that and let them keep it.

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

6. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

More so truck side they are female and have a tendency to
    spread spart get a pick and try closing them up get a wiring diagram online if tou have to get a repair kit amazln is the cheapest 35 for either side

7. jrr102486

jrr102486 Junior Member

I think once the snow is done around here this spring I will just replace it all. Splice in a new truck side and then get all the stuff for the night hawks. I work at my local auto parts store and know all the plow guys in the area and asked a few of them as well and all suggested the same thing here.

So all in all I'm looking about $350 to convert all of this, which isnt too bad and then to also start new.