1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Unimount lights go out randomly...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by EKennett, Dec 30, 2010.

1. EKennett

EKennett Junior Member

Hey all, kinda new to plowing. This is my first year doing it. I have a 7'6" Unimount pro plow on my Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. I used the plow for the first time this week with the Northeast blizzard and while I was lifting or angling the plow sometimes the headlights would go out. Not dim, totally out. They came back on randomly the same as they went out. I figured it might be an underpowered alternator for the load demand but while I was driving to a job on an unlit backroad in the pitch black the lights went out again. (yes, pretty scary). So there was no extra load on the alternator at that time. Maybe a bad relay or loose connection somewhere? What do you guys suggest I check out first?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

A) check the black/orange wire (ground) on the solenoid (check them all) to make sure it is clean and has a good connection. Then check it on the plow frame..While your at the plow, check the plow lights plug (the one that connect to the lights) to make sure they are clean and making good contact. Then check the connector plug (grill) to make sure there no dirt. Make sure they are clean and put some electrical grease on them.. U can also do that to the wires on the solenoid, and head lamps if you want..

Same thing happen to me

Check your pants if it every happens again :(

3. Jeepjimmy

Jeepjimmy Member
    from ny

the 9 pin connector sometimes doesnt make a good contact. i just had to replace the truck side of mine. the lights would go on and off no matter what you did to hold the connectors together. the pins just get worn out i think.